Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ndndn

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2022
Curious what people think about micro-LED vs solid state batteries in terms of battery life improvements compared to current?

In some reading, solid state batteries look like they could have up to a 60% greater energy density which would be a huge jump in overall life and can't imagine micro LED being similar. Can only assume they're obviously not ready, but agin, would like to hear from anyone more informed.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
This seems like its for Apple instead of the users. Aside from the exceedingly rare burn in issue, Apple Watch's OLED displays are peak and really do not need anything. Whatever micro-LED is doing for Apple, its for Apple.
You're right, I think, but if they plan to transition all their mobile devices to microled--which many believe they do--then something has to go first. Makes sense to test a new screen technology on the device with the smallest and therefore cheapest screens.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Just make it proportional to average human wrist size this time around. 🙏🥺

And do a display that’s flush with the case. 😬👍

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
You're right, I think, but if they plan to transition all their mobile devices to microled--which many believe they do--then something has to go first. Makes sense to test a new screen technology on the device with the smallest and therefore cheapest screens.
The watch seems to be where Apple was testing new tech before it makes its way to the rest of the product line. Apple did this with OLED screens, force/3d Touch, and the haptic engine. Makes sense that they would do it with microLED as well.

Reactions: jouster

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
How about the ability to work as good if not better than a garmin watch?

Seriously guys I wear two watches! One for sports that pairs with my ant+ sensors (bike, run, heart rate, cadence, speed, temperature, radar) and the other Apple Watch that does nothing of the sort.

Apple made HUGE jumps in the seriousness of their sports tracking with WatchOS 9, including features I'd have never thought they would bring like Running Power, Courses, precise track workout measurement and more... mostly obviously for running. I think this signals they are coming for Garmin, but like with everything Apple they do it on their timeframe and their pace. I suspect this fall in WatchOS 10 we will see one or more of the following... *bluetooth* compatibility with cadence / powermeters for bikes (they will never support ANT+ and I think ANT+ will slowly die), full trail mapping and directions, and some form of recovery tracking.

Apple has signaled with WatchOS 9 and Apple Watch Ultra that Garmin is in their sights. It will NEVER be everything and the kitchen sink like Garmin, but I think the core features 95% use in Garmin sports watches are coming.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I love my ultra, but the one thing it doesn’t need is to be bigger.

It won't be. If you eliminate the black bezels between the screen and the titanium edge on the Ultra you go exactly from 1.9 to 2.1 inches, which is the size increase this rumor is calling for.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Larger and brighter screen, right. 1 week battery life when?

well the next CPU for Apple Watch will be on a 3nm process, it should bring down battery drain considerably. I do think enhanced battery life is SLOWLY coming to Apple Watch, but they simply won't sacrifice being the brightest and best looking screen combined with smooth UI in the smartwatch / sport watch space. Garmin's screens, even the new AMOLED ones are not as nice or bright and the UI is a slow, stutter-y mess compared to WatchOS on Apple devices.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I'm glad MacRumors has started front-loading their sources in articles. That way, when the source is DigiTimes I immediately know to stop reading.

I can't recall a single thing DigiTimes has got right in the past 15 years I've been reading this site.

eh, it isn't just DigiTimes. this rumor is being reported by everyone. It makes sense, the black bezels are HUGE on Apple Watch Ultra and the screen is essentially the same size as Series 7/8 (only microscopically bigger). If you eliminate the black bezels you go from 1.9->2.1 inches, you make the screen MEANINGFULLY larger than the regular Apple Watches *and* you do it without having to increase the size of the device from 49mm at all.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC

A new Apple Watch Ultra with a microLED display will be released in 2024 or 2025, according to Taiwanese supply chain publication DigiTimes. The report claims that Apple plans to extend the technology to iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks too eventually.

apple-watch-ultra-1-1.jpg

The report reiterates that Apple has been actively developing microLED technology since it acquired California-based company LuxVue in 2014. Given that microLED display production remains challenging, manufacturing costs are higher, which is why Apple will start rolling out the technology with the Apple Watch Ultra before larger devices.

European company ams OSRAM will be the primary supplier of microLED chips for Apple, but there is potential for Taiwanese suppliers like Epistar to become additional suppliers of microLED chips by 2026-2027, according to the report.

A new Apple Watch Ultra with a microLED display has been rumored by several sources, including Display Supply Chain Consultants CEO Ross Young, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, and Haitong International Securities analyst Jeff Pu. Gurman said the microLED transition could begin by the end of 2024, but noted the timeframe could slip into 2025. Young also gave a 2025 timeframe, so the technology could be at least two years away.

Pu said the new Apple Watch Ultra will likely feature a larger 2.1-inch display, and microLED technology would allow for increased brightness compared to existing Apple Watch models with OLED displays. The current Ultra has around a 1.9-inch display.

In the meantime, Apple is still completing its lengthy transition from LCD to OLED display technology. The Apple Watch has used OLED since it launched in 2015, and iPhone models gradually switched to OLED starting in 2017. Rumors suggest the first iPad Pro and MacBook models with OLED displays will be released in 2024.

Article Link: Apple Watch Ultra With MicroLED Display Again Rumored to Launch by 2025
Im waiting for a smaller Ultra. I‘d be shocked and dismayed if they didnt offer one next watch-launch season.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Im waiting for a smaller Ultra. I‘d be shocked and dismayed if they didnt offer one next watch-launch season.

I suspect this year there WILL be a new Ultra but it will be the exact some body, perhaps now with two shade of Titanium, last years silver or a dark black version to choose from. The hardware will change to match what will be a new 3nm CPU in the Series 9 and it may result in a bit more battery life (and faster processing) compared to the current Ultra. Everything else will be software changes is my guess with Trail Mapping and perhaps support for bluetooth bike powermeters and cadence sensors. In 2024 there will be an all new Series 10 body, all new Ultra body (and the 2.1 micro-LED screen) and more (maybe your smaller body option?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.