Apple Watch Update Process is from Hell

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spinstorm, Sep 11, 2015.

1. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I cannot think of a worse way of updating the Apple Watch as the method Apple have chosen.

It takes hours to download an update and then transfer it to the phone. It is beyond stupid. And I believe that many Apple Watch owners will never update their watches unless it auto-downloads in the background - which it doesn't.

The way it should work is that the watch directly connects to WiFi and download the update directly.

Android Wear is significantly faster with its updates and does auto-download. I love my Apple Watch but the update process is from hell, it is by far the worst experience Apple could chose.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

They must be having server problems as the update can not be that big. I have not heard anyone else complain about the download speed so it could be on your end:rolleyes:

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Meh. Doesn't really bother me. It'll go faster eventually.

4. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I would withhold all judgement until it's released. They might throw more bandwidth at the servers when they release to the public.

5. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

WatchOS 2 GM is a 555MB update over 1.0.1

Have fun transferring that over bluetooth...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I doubt the entire 555MB is downloaded to the watch.

7. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

Well then they make the update take hours for no good reason. Just wait until you try it next week.

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Bluetooth 4.0 is just a local Wifi connection. It's plenty fast. The bottleneck is just the server.

9. dvdlovr24 macrumors 6502

Mine took about 15 minutes to download and then about 20 minutes or so to update on my watch. It takes longer than I would like to update the watch, but it definitely didn't take "hours".

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Mine took hours to download, and I haven't installed it yet. But I think that was all from a bad wifi connection.

11. basher macrumors 6502

basher

My initial download of the GM from Apple was fast. After that it took about 90 minutes to install and complete the update. Not perfect IMO, but not ideal either. Just kind of meh.