Apple watch v Garmin Approach S6

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by morty192, Sep 24, 2015.

1. morty192 macrumors regular

Hi guys.

Dad's birthday coming up soon so we're thinking of getting him a smart watch. He loves his golf and would use it primarily for keeping taps on his golf and gps range finder. He is also addicted to his iphone and likes the look of the apple watch more but th golf is his priority.

So my question is can the apple watch do everything the Garmin Approach S6 can do golf wise and which of the two devices would the golfers on this forum recommend? (with only your golf fanboy hats on please :p )

2. diesel macrumors 6502a

Would your dad even like to play golf with a watch on? I personally dont like to play with a watch on. Assuming your dad won't mind.....the Apple Watch needs a corresponding golf app running on the iPhone to be useable...app like golfshot and based on user feedback "useable" on the watch is debatable. I tried the watch app once just to see performance and it was too slow for my liking whereas the actual iPhone app was pretty quick. So from a golf perspective the dedicated garmin watch would be best. However, your dad likely spends more time off the course than on no matter how often he plays so the Apple Watch is more functional from that perspective

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The Garmin does swing analysis that the AW will probably never do. If your dad is into tech geek stuff and data, he will probably like the S6 more.