Apple Watch vs Anything Else

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Eggtastic, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Alright, so when the apple watch first came out I really liked the look, but after scouring the forums and learning about some pitfalls of the device I decided against it. I also thought it was trivial to buy something this expensive to be worn on your wrist where it most likely will get scratched at some point.

My needs aren't much, but I am a weight lifter. In the past I have had a Jawbone Up 1 and when that crapped out I got a Jawbone Up 2 (they gave me $25 to their online store when I called about a repair). I have nicked both from lifting and other exercise which makes me nervous to buy one.

My consideration after the jawbone crap was a fitbit alta, which has the non-color display that was more than enough, great form factor, and offers call and text notifications.

Now, as I see the ads, weigh in the more possible options that apple watch offers, I am considering a low end model. The only watch I wear is a Nixon, and that is when I go out to a nice place. I would defintiey wear this all the time and use a lot of the features.

Now, the dilemma: Nixon is coming out with a smart watch called "mission". Looks great. Also, a wild card, is the Samsung one that came out recently, however has no support for iPhone (obvious).

Aside from the ramble, my question is has anyone scoffed at the Apple Watch, only to buy it and actually use the features? Also, has anyone considered anything else smart watch wise?

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

So... what are you hoping to get out of a smart watch. You mentioned weight lifting, but that is kind of mediocre today in the AW, and really probably not good on any of the trackers. Here are a few things to think about and how important they are. I will not list the fitness stuff, since you did not mention that in your post.
    * Notifications: receiving only versus receiving and responding
    * Custom app flexibility
    * Display customization
    * Activity tracking (steps, flights of stairs climbed, sleep tracking, 24/7 HR, resting HR, etc.)
    * Calorie consumption tracking against daily activity
    * Apple Pay (or other NFC payment)
    * Aesthetics

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Check out the app Gymaholic for weightlifting