Apple Watch vs ASUS ZenWatch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by green9206, Mar 11, 2015.

1. green9206 macrumors member

green9206

[​IMG]

Anybody interested in the ZenWatch? I was considering buying the Apple Watch but the ZenWatch seems cheaper alternative.I mean look that marketing campaign where Asus is openly mocking the Apple Watch. I mean Apple Watch is all good but too expensive not to mention those ridiculous prices of the bands.How many of you already own or would rather buy another company's smartwatch? Or is Apple Watch really worth the price comapred to other brands smartwatches?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

do you have an iphone? If yes, no zenwatch for you. At least not until android makes android wear compatible with iphones (which is in the works, IIRC).

3. green9206 thread starter macrumors member

green9206

I have an iPhone 3GS and also Moto E. However am not sure if 3GS is compatible with the Apple Watch? The ZenWatch is only $199 though.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The true value of the Apple Watch, like the iPhone and iPad, is the App Store. When I buy something I consider "utility" before "value" or "price," because something more expensive can end up having a lower cost of ownership than a competing product with an lower "price."

For example, a ugly shirt on sale for $24 that is never worn and ultimately given away, tags in tact costs more than a $100 shirt that is worn 3x a month for two years.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

As per forum rules - please go back and edit this post to reflect a car analogy ;)

6. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

No thanks. It's still Apple Watch for me. Just not the gold one, so I am really hoping people will not think I am out of my mind because it really really matters a lot to me what people think :rolleyes:

7. noobinator macrumors 601

At this point, on an Apple message board, it's a pointless thread. If you have an iPhone you can't get a ZenWatch.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

That could change in a matter or weeks - even before you can pre-order the watch though.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

even so, how gimped will android wear be on IOS? I am almost certain it will act just like a pebble. In other words you will only be able to receive notifications with no chance of interaction.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Fair point - but for some people - that's all they will want or need. Not everyone wants a smart watch to replace the activities they do on their phone. Some really want it for those types of alerts.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I completely agree. I have a pebble now and love it (battery life is untouchable). However, the apple watch not only looks better but will offer those features (calls, dictation) that I will use. That to me is work the premium price :)

12. samcraig macrumors P6

No argument if that's what you want, of course.

My initial response was because "noobinator" stated that there was no point in discussing this watch here and that if you have an iPhone you can't get a ZenWatch.

I wanted to point out that I think it's completely legit to discuss.

13. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

My uncle wore a Zen watch to a formal event that we attended last month, and, although it may be one of the better Android watches, it still looked large and geeky, and the fit and finish is about as good as a low end Fossil. The strap was fine, though. My uncle is very successful and can buy anything he wants, but I practically felt sorry for him wearing it. It looked bad. Too big.

14. ancns, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

ancns macrumors member

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've mentioned this a few times in other threads and will mention it here as well.

The built in Apple watch app gets special treatment by iOS as it is a system level app. This means that iOS will most likely never kill the app to recovery memory and will likely restart the app every time someone tries to close it.

3rd party watch apps installed from the Appstore will not have system level privileges. This means if the app is closed by iOS' memory management because it's idle and needs to recover memory it will disable the notfications on the watch. Pebble has worked around this by asking its app to have background app refresh turned on so it won't be idle-killed.

16. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Closing the pebble does not stop notifications for me.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Turn off background app refresh, close the Pebble app and then wait a few minutes. Your notifications will not come through anymore.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

Your in the wrong forum

19. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

True. I would think 3GS owner is not allowed here. :p

/jk

20. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850