Apple watch vs garment vivoactive vs Pebble

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Aug 3, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

How would you rate the 3 devices for your iphone? Really want the apple watch but thinking of price.

Suppose option of other two is far better battery life

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It all depends on what you are expecting from each. What is most important to you.

3. exxxviii, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

What's your priority: fitness, activity or versatility? Apple watch is most versatile but is mediocre at fitness and activity. Vivoactive is pretty good at fitness & activity but not the versatility part. Not sure where I would rate Pebble.

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wearables I've owned:

I went through about a half a dozen original UP bands. Liked it, but it wasn't durable. I think they've improved it however.

I also loved the simple, unobtrusive look and form factor of the Vivosmart, but it died within a month - after a few swims. It was supposed to be waterproof. It also looked fine alongside my regular wristwatch.

The apple watch, by comparison is the best wearable I've had. I only use about 20% of what it offers and that 20% is very slickly executed compared to the others.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Garmin offers fitness devices, some of the newer products have smart watch capability but first and foremost its going to be a fitness device. I'd probably not want to the vivoactive out on a date or going out somewhere where you need to dress up. The Apple watch, on the other hand will help compliment an outfit. The garmin products are generally better at measuring/recording your work out metrics then the the apple watch but then that's their target audience.

vivoactive.png

6. srshaw macrumors 6502

The vivoactive is much far superior to the Apple watch for sporty tracking, and has simple notifications. The Apple watch has brilliant ineractivity with the iphone but in my view pretty poor sport tracking.

Given the quite low price of the vivoactive, I think there is a compelling argument to get both if you are into sports. I use Garmin products to track sports and wouldn't really move away. Information from these syncs into Apple health so it has the overall picture (shame active calories whilst wearing my Garmin doesn't move the 'move' ring). Shame activity tracked when wearing my Apple watch can'nt get into garmin connect.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its 249 on garmin.com and in the 23x range on amazon. For my perspective, over 200 dollars is not a low price.

I agree its superior to the AW, but then any single purpose product will beat out a more generalized product. My Firbit surge is superior to the AW right now as well, I can run with that and have it track my run without a need of the iPhone.

If you need a product that is completely fitness orientated then Garmin, Fitbit etc are probably a better solution.

I will say that I hate the look of the vivoactive, it ugly, but I won't deny its utility, i.e., its a great tool to manage your workouts.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Owned a Pebble for like 3 seconds. Yuk on just about every aspect. (Bought sight unseen on Kickstarter. Sold it literally hours after receiving).

Never owned a Vivoactive, but have used a Fuelband and Fitbit Flex, Force, and Charge HR. For someone who needs digital shaming to get off the couch, out of the office, etc. activity bands are great IF you give them that power over you. So you still have to be motivated to do the hour walk or quick jog or whatever.

The AW, of course, has a Fitness app which is very similar to what the Fuelband was. The Charge counts steps climbed, the AW does not. The AW can do a heck of a lot more than the Charge, of course, but at 3x the price. The AW has to be charged nightly. Most activity bands can last a week before needing charging meaning you can keep them on 24/7 and all your moving around the house is counted more easily.

Personally, I "graduated" from activity bands into a full fledged running watch (Garmin 620). I use it exclusively for running and then switch back to my AW afterwards. The AW can't compete IMHO with a good sports watch because its a "jack-of-all trades, master of none. I wear the AW mostly because I like notifications and Apple Pay is convenient where available.

9. firewood macrumors 604

My girlfriend likes the Pebble Time because she can display cute watch faces continuously (color to match her outfits), and only has to remember to charge it about once a week. But she's also waiting to see what the next generation of Apple Watch looks like.