Apple Watch vs My Basis Peak

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rhuarc3, Oct 24, 2014.

1. rhuarc3 macrumors member

rhuarc3

i was excited to hear about the apple watch but i'm kinda disappointed in it. majority of the features are on my phone already i don't need another device for them. i was hoping to use it mostly as a watch and fitness tracker, but its not waterproof. and as a firefighter i'm around water a lot.

looking into the my basis peak. http://www.mybasis.com its cheaper and waterproof.

what are your thoughts?

2. SHNXX macrumors 68000

honestly i think apple watch and android wear will probably crush all these small competitors unless small competitors come up with unbelievable feature that can't easily be implemented by apple/google.

in my opinion, this basis watch seems like an inferior version of the apple watch by the way it looks.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe good to get for sleep (as you can't wear the :apple:Watch for sleeping as it needs to charge) and exercise purposes.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

We still don't know how water resistant/proof the aWatch will be. Apple may not have fully determined how water resistant/proof the production aWatch will be at the time of the event. Hopefully it will be IPx7. If it at least IPx6K you would be covered for your job, just no swimming.:D

[​IMG]

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

In what way is the Basis inferior to the Apple Watch for the OPs stated needs? To me, for fitness tracking it seems the Basis is even with or beats the Apple Watch in every category for significantly less money. Of course, if you are looking to send your heartbeat to your boo, then you have to go Apple Watch.

6. rhuarc3 thread starter macrumors member

rhuarc3

If the apple watch is ipx7, then i would probably get it. if only ipx6k, it would depend on how much i want to pay. the extra features are nice but are they worth the extra cost? i guess i'll have to wait and see what apple says for ip rating.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

One problem is Apple may not disclose an IP rating. Knowing Apple they could just leave it at what they have already said. Hopefully we will at least see independent testing of the IP rating, but that could be a few weeks after launch.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Just want to report that I picked up the Basis Peak yesterday but not sure I am keeping it.

I really like the way it tells time and I like it keeping track of heart beat and steps. I really like the iPhone app as well. The band is comfortable and overall it is a pretty comfortable sports watch.

The problem for me, as a woman, is it is huge. As far as sports watches, it may be on the small side but compared to things that are meant to be worn 24/7 or nearly 24/7, it is huge. I measured the watch face and it is 32mm? With an apple watch being 38mm, I am not sure I can see myself with an apple watch.

I'm going to give it a few days to see if I can get used to the size. For men, probably not an issue.

9. rhuarc3 thread starter macrumors member

rhuarc3

Cool. Keep us updated on how you like it.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Are you OK with the width (43mm) and depth (10.2mm)?

Also the aWatch band connection is more internal and may not seems a long as the 38mm suggest.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

Well it is wider than it is longer but the length covers the top of my wrist. It'd be nice if it wasn't as deep but again, it seems a pretty standard size, maybe slightly smaller than many sports style watches.

Do we have reports on how deep the apple watch is? I googled and couldn't find it.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's been estimated that the body will be about 10.6mm and to the sensor (maximum) point will be about 12.3mm. This will probably give you about the same perceived thickness as the Basis Peak on arm. it's likely you will need to actually put one own and see how it looks/feels to know for sure. There are several photos of women wearing it. Here is a 38mm that looks to be on a petite woman wrist. Does it look larger that the Basis Peak to you?

[​IMG]

13. leenak macrumors 68020

It does but maybe it is because of the length, based on your dimensions, the basis peak may be wider than the apple watch is long but it is slightly shorter than the apple watch is wide and isn't as deep (ok now none of that probably makes sense). And yeah, I'd have to see the apple watch on but as of right now, I think I'd wait for a slimmer, second generation apple watch. There seem to be a lot of options on the market, options are slimmer if you want HR which is a feature I enjoy of the basis peak.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

I decided to return the Basis Peak... which means I chose something else to try, right now it is the Garmin VivoSmart. If it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea, I may wait for the UP3.

15. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

The Peak looks pretty great to me. But neither are available yet, and I think it's really going to take a few months to get an accurate assessment of each.

16. leenak macrumors 68020

In the US, the Peak went on sale on Friday.

17. rhuarc3 thread starter macrumors member

rhuarc3

How's the vivosmart working for you? I'm still trying to decide if I want to wait or not.