Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
I happened to play with a demo unit of the S2 and these are my observations :

1.) Very lightweight. My Apple 42mm SS is quite heavy.
2.) Revolving bezel takes some time to get used to but is nice. Nice alternative to buttons and crown.
3.) Overall build quality does not feel premium and feels very 'plasticky'. Apple watch feels premium from the word 'Go' but then we pay for it as well.
4.) I don't know whether it was the indoor lighting but the display felt very subpar : brightness and colours were lacking vibrance. Apart from direct sunlight, my Apple Watch wows me with its sharpness and colour reproduction.
5.) The Samsung Apps looked quite well done but I didn't get the chance to check out 3rd party apps. Apple Apps have a similar build.
6.) Unit hanged after I pressed on an app. My wife says it was 'just because of me' because it was fine as long as she was playing with it !

Cheers !

I also had a Gear S2 (WiFi as well as 3G/eSIM) to play with for a few days because of my job.

1) Yeah, it is lightweight. But first and foremost it feels actually really cheap imo. It looks terrible in real life (I had the classic version).
2) I don't really like the concept of the bezel because you tend to cover the screen with your hand once you use the bezel. Also, the user interface and handling is not consistent across all menus/applications.
3) Yup, I have to agree. I expected the Gear S2 classic to feel way more premium.
4) It didn't look that bad but it surely didn't compare to the Apple Watch.
5) I thought most of the apps were terrible. Best example is the phone app: who wants to enter a phone number through a number pad on a small and round smartwatch display? I have small hands and fingers for a man but it was straight up terrible and it took me ages to enter a number. Also the apps were really slow and tended to freeze.
6) Experienced this quite a few times as well.

All in all, a very unpleasant and underwhelming experience. One thing I'd like to add: I used the 3G version for a few days and while it was nice that the watch had its own connectivity, the user experience was garbage. You could really tell that all they did was add an eSIM and a phone app to the existing WiFi device.

Reactions: ladytonya

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I have the 42mm SS and a few months back bought the Huawai Android watch, I switch between both but I get more compliments on my Huawai then I ever do with the Apple Watch. I love the always on screen, the full screen round face and the almost 60 watch faces, and many are beautiful realistic faces. I love the options it has over my Apple Watch.

The quality of the Huawai watch is great, and has a sapphire glass like my Apple Watch, and even the packaging it came in is equal to the cases my Movados came in.

I truly enjoy both and the choice to switch when I want to.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Give S2 bezel a good spin...and you will see that the scrolling has only ONE speed. Make a reminder...it cannot. S-Voice sucks donkey balls. What maps does it use again? Ain't Google! Nokia maps i think. Check your pulse...like all Android Wear, this Tizen watch cannot check pulse reliably. Plastic back (over HR lens too). Look at the rubber band attachment...HUGE problem with it being GLUED! Yes, there are plenty of stories of S2 falling off wrist because the band detaches from watch spontaneously...and Samsung REFUSING to warranty fix it. Does it have speaker? No unless you get the 3G model. Lose connection from phone and your watch may lock up. Let your battery run down...and you need to RE-PAIR with your phone and start over.

Need i go on? :D
OMG. The bezel can spin at the different speeds, and the display spins at different speeds to match, not sure what u are on a out.
On a hospital visit, I checked my pulse after the nurse did it, it 2 out, not too shabby...
Who is using a map on such a small screen crazy.. talk about looking for faults. Looks like someone had an agenda..

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
If you want a classy android watch I think the Huawai watch is your best bet. Best smart watch on the market imo.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
It does look good, quite pricey tho.. maybe a tad dressy for me, I prefer the every day sports midels.
It is pricey. However it has been on sale a few times for 220 which is not too bad. I agree it is dressy, that is why I love it so much.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Latest rumor states the G S3 will have altimeter and GPS. If Samsung can do it Apple should be able to put in the same.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I thought the Gear S2 Classic in rose gold was beautiful but like all Android compatible watches I've tried, it is too darned big for my small wrist.

FWIW, both of my Apple Watches keep disconnecting and reconnecting to my iPhone SE since the last update of Watch OS.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I've had the Gear S for over a year and IMO the real difference one would want to know is:
- Apple device will generally be a bit less capable in terms of hardware
- Samsung one can be more easily modded and hacked (to a certain extent)
- Apple will maintain and update the OS longer, while Samsung wont

It's pluses and minuses. For the moment, the Gear is maybe a bit ahead. And Apple is clearly putting out devices that are designed for planned obsolescence. But once Apple actually puts a proper phone/4G data in the watch, then see-ya Samsung, I would say.
[doublepost=1470583087][/doublepost]I've had the Gear S for over a year and IMO the real difference one would want to know is:
- Apple device will generally be a bit less capable in terms of hardware
- Samsung one can be more easily modded and hacked (to a certain extent)
- Apple will maintain and update the OS longer, while Samsung wont

It's pluses and minuses. For the moment, the Gear is maybe a bit ahead. And Apple is clearly putting out devices that are designed for planned obsolescence. But once Apple actually puts a proper phone/4G data in the watch, then see-ya Samsung, I would say.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah, that moment is here now. So Samsung has had a 2-3 year lead and done nothing with it. And the window now closes.

Good luck to Samsung - they might as well just withdraw their watches from the market now, as they are gonna get steamrolled by the machine.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yeah, that moment is here now. So Samsung has had a 2-3 year lead and done nothing with it. And the window now closes.

Good luck to Samsung - they might as well just withdraw their watches from the market now, as they are gonna get steamrolled by the machine.

And yet I just bought a Gear S3 after wearing an Apple Watch for 2 years and love the Gear S3. Maybe Samsung shouldn't throw the towel in just yet.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
And yet I just bought a Gear S3 after wearing an Apple Watch for 2 years and love the Gear S3. Maybe Samsung shouldn't throw the towel in just yet.

Personal anecdotes are always nice. I even still have my Gear S all this time and still use it, although my kid is increasingly "stealing" it. But personal anecdotes are not the full story. And in the bigger picture is, well....Samsung is about to get steamrollered.

I cant cry for Samsung - they had their chances here and consistently refused to take them. You can go to a dedicated forum of hardcores like XDA developers and you'll find the complaints about needless crippling and lack of open mindedness towards customer feedback, that are really just kiss of death this early in a product cycle. But that's all water under the bridge, as it's game over shortly.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Personal anecdotes are always nice. I even still have my Gear S all this time and still use it, although my kid is increasingly "stealing" it. But personal anecdotes are not the full story. And in the bigger picture is, well....Samsung is about to get steamrollered.

I cant cry for Samsung - they had their chances here and consistently refused to take them. You can go to a dedicated forum of hardcores like XDA developers and you'll find the complaints about needless crippling and lack of open mindedness towards customer feedback, that are really just kiss of death this early in a product cycle. But that's all water under the bridge, as it's game over shortly.

How exactly is my opinion a "personal anecdote", and your doomsday scenario not? If you want to talk about crippling and lack of open mindedness, I'm happy to. Apple is the king of this, which is one of the major reasons that my signature is slowly going from all Apple to a multi-vendor list of products.

Back to the topic at hand... how exactly is Apple going to "steamroll" the smart watch competition with the AW when you must have an iPhone to use one, and Apple has only a small fraction of the smartphone market??? https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

Android dominates the smartphone market, and Samsung dominates the Android OEMs. Certainly the AW is becoming more and more popular, which is great for the smart watch market, but if it really takes off they are not in a position to capture anything close to a dominant share.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
How exactly is my opinion a "personal anecdote", and your doomsday scenario not?

Because you are projecting your own personal experience, while I am actually offering a prognosis that differs from my own personal outcome. I have my Gear S, I found it useful. But I also understand how the mass market buyer will overwhelmingly go for Apple's offering. Because set side by side, a system-based offering of such devices will always give Apple the edge in consumer value delivered.

Like I said, there was a window for Samsung to accumulate a better lead and change the dimensions of the game, set consumer expectations in a different framework, and in doing so be able to compete on a more favourable battlefield.. But sadly Samsung spurned that opportunity

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Because you are projecting your own personal experience, while I am actually offering a prognosis that differs from my own personal outcome. I have my Gear S, I found it useful. But I also understand how the mass market buyer will overwhelmingly go for Apple's offering. Because set side by side, a system-based offering of such devices will always give Apple the edge in consumer value delivered.

Like I said, there was a window for Samsung to accumulate a better lead and change the dimensions of the game, set consumer expectations in a different framework, and in doing so be able to compete on a more favourable battlefield.. But sadly Samsung spurned that opportunity

I shared my "personal view" in a forum thread comparing two smart watches. I have experience with both of them. My "personal view" is my personal view... I didn't claim it to be anything else. Generally people share their "personal views" in forums talking about products they own.

You on the other hand are proclaiming your on personal assessment of the market future. You are suggesting that Samsung should withdraw from the market because Apple has already defeated them. I called "BS" on this. The hilarious part of your incorrect proclamation is that the two watches being discussed can't even function properly with their opposing competitor's phones, so they aren't even selling to the same customers. Samsung has 5 times as many potential customers to sell to. So for your proclamation to be true, Apple would have to essentially take over the smartphone market and push Android out of it, OR, produce an Apple Watch that works with Android. Neither of these things are going to happen, so your proclamation is just wrong. If anything, the more success Apple has with their watch will create a larger increasing share of interested buyers with Android phones, and that will in turn cause the competition in Android compatible smartwatches to increase. I expect Samsung will benefit nicely from that.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I shared my "personal view" in a forum thread comparing two smart watches. I have experience with both of them. My "personal view" is my personal view... I didn't claim it to be anything else. Generally people share their "personal views" in forums talking about products they own.

You on the other hand are proclaiming your on personal assessment of the market future. You are suggesting that Samsung should withdraw from the market because Apple has already defeated them. I called "BS" on this. The hilarious part of your incorrect proclamation is that the two watches being discussed can't even function properly with their opposing competitor's phones, so they aren't even selling to the same customers. Samsung has 5 times as many potential customers to sell to. So for your proclamation to be true, Apple would have to essentially take over the smartphone market and push Android out of it, OR, produce an Apple Watch that works with Android. Neither of these things are going to happen, so your proclamation is just wrong. If anything, the more success Apple has with their watch will create a larger increasing share of interested buyers with Android phones, and that will in turn cause the competition in Android compatible smartwatches to increase. I expect Samsung will benefit nicely from that.

Yes, I am making an assessment. Am not sure if you have yet grasped the difference between an anecdote and an opinion. Have attempted to lead you to understand the difference, but your ego is getting in the way. Suggest you get that sorted, as it's taken you on a red herring path...

I also think you have not also grasped the significance of the "smartwatch" and why blowing a lead after beating an important rival into the market, can prove to be a fateful mistake for Samsung. You only have to look at smartphones, in which Apple has defined the terms of value - and is creaming that value in profits compared to Samsung. Here Samsung has failed to do anything significant in what has been basically an open beta period. Now it gets serious and unfortunately this first phase is still stuck on ground that is favourable to Apple, when in fact Samsung should have accelerated things forward.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yes, I am making an assessment. Am not sure if you have yet grasped the difference between an anecdote and an opinion. Have attempted to lead you to understand the difference, but your ego is getting in the way. Suggest you get that sorted, as it's taken you on a red herring path...

I also think you have not also grasped the significance of the "smartwatch" and why blowing a lead after beating an important rival into the market, can prove to be a fateful mistake for Samsung. You only have to look at smartphones, in which Apple has defined the terms of value - and is creaming that value in profits compared to Samsung. Here Samsung has failed to do anything significant in what has been basically an open beta period. Now it gets serious and unfortunately this first phase is still stuck on ground that is favourable to Apple, when in fact Samsung should have accelerated things forward.

My ego? I am claiming to know MY own opinion about a watch. You are claiming to know that Samsung is going to fail in business and should through the towel in now.

I'm getting back to the topic of this thread which is talking about the differences between the watches, so you can have the last word and I won't respond.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My ego? I am claiming to know MY own opinion about a watch. You are claiming to know that Samsung is going to fail in business and should through the towel in now.

I'm getting back to the topic of this thread which is talking about the differences between the watches, so you can have the last word and I won't respond.

The one advantage that Samsung has over Apple, is the price point for their watches. Usually where I go, I see them discounted or promotional discounts attached to purchase them under retail value. Samsung has some nice hardware with the Frontier Gear S3.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Yes your ego. Words have meanings. very specific ones. Use them correctly. You clearly dont know - or tried to distort the meaning of - the word "anecdote". But fessed up to neither. Leaving you in a rather hollow position.

You are claiming to know that Samsung is going to fail in business and should through the towel in now.

I never said that. Samsung is a large and complex conglomerate, which is not likely to go bankrupt......but which has failed to convert its deeply vertically integrated position and lead in cutting edge products and features, into any kind of profitability lead in smartphones. For the same reasons that it is repeating in smartwatches.

If you consider that the Apple Iphone X is basically going to overtake what Samsung has had as a multi-year lead with the Note and Note Edge phones, then you'd understand that the same will most likely be repeated here: Samsung failing to capitalise on a lead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.