Apple watch Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by i-aamir, Apr 25, 2015.

1. i-aamir macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how the wifi function works when Bluetooth is turned off on your phone? In the AW user guide it said that if Bluetooth is off but your in wifi range you can still send and receive messages and use Siri? I'm not able to do that and just get the red disconnect iPhone logo on the watch?

2. anez macrumors 6502

anez

I get the same icon, but the Watch then goes on to work more or less normally. I get the red "no phone" icon, then three blue dots, then suddenly everything is working normally again. The only difference is that some things are slightly slower.

It seems like you can't force a WiFi connection or access any details about it, but the Watch will work away using it without ever telling you about it.

3. i-aamir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you able to use Siri while the red disconnect icon is displayed. I cant use Siri or send messages, just says Iphone not in range?

4. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Here's what's worked for me while either the Bluetooth was off or the phone was out of range (I tried both):

- Siri weather request
    - Getting email notifications
    - Getting texts
    - Getting calls
    - Reading my Twitter feed

...So basically more or less everything? Did it actually reject the requests owing to the phone being out of range? What happens when the Bluetooth is off?

5. i-aamir thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't do any of those. As in just clicked on Twitter and it came up with the red iPhone disconnect logo. Only thing I did was switch Bluetooth off on my phone

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Did the red phone icon still show? I forgot about the wifi features and just thought nothing would work

7. i-aamir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just worked it out. My iPhone on the home network is 5GHZ and the Watch only supports 2.4! That's a shame as I'll now have to run my iPhone on the lower band just to allow wifi functions on the watch while Bluetooth is off!

8. anez macrumors 6502

anez

It shows the icon initially, but then it continues working anyway. It's a bit weird, to be honest.

9. BrianNH macrumors member

I just did some testing with this, I have a dual band asus router with both bands using the same ssid. I looked at the router and while bluetooth is on, the watch appears as if it's wired. This tells me that the watch is getting an ip but doing so through the phone.

When I disable bluetooth, the watch appears on the router using 2.4ghz. Even while the phone is on 5ghz, I am able to get full functionality over wifi. I never saw a disconnected icon.

10. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Interesting research, thanks! :). I was surprised that I never got a wifi pass phrase request on the AW. So I guess the pairing with the phone hands it off to the watch? I guess " it just works".

11. amirite macrumors 6502a

Is it just in my head or is the Watch faster when you disable bluetooth on the phone?

12. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

13. amirite macrumors 6502a

Hm. Then why doesn't it default to using Wifi for communication with the phone when available? Battery issues?

14. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Probably battery. BT LE would use less energy than WiFi.

15. amirite macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. Unfortunate though...