Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During a recent visit to China, Tim Cook met with employees at Apple's China headquarters and confirmed that the company is aiming to have the Apple Watch in Apple retail stores by June in multiple countries around the world, including China. In the meeting, details of which were shared by 9to5Mac, Cook reportedly told employees that the Apple Watch launch "could not be going better," and joked that he wished the company had more operational staff for a smoother launch.

Apple's plan to start selling the watch in stores by the end of the month of May was first hinted at by Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts, who said in an employee memo in April that the Apple Watch would be available exclusively online through May.

SB-LL-MB-Apple-Watch.jpg

The Apple Watch's launch was highly unusual for Apple, as it saw the company foregoing its traditional lines in favor of accepting orders entirely online. According to Ahrendts, orders were handled in that way to ensure customers had the best possible ordering experience without long in-store lines and wait times. Supply constraints were also a factor, with rumors suggesting Apple lost time due to faulty taptic engines produced by a supplier in China.

Ahrendts has promised that the Apple Watch ordering process is not representative of how all of the company's product launches will be handled in the future. "We love our launches we do in stores," she told employees. "Have absolutely no fear, this is a unique situation."

Though the Apple Watch will continue to be available through Apple solely online until June, Apple has allowed some high-end fashion boutiques around the world to sell the Apple Watch to customers. In the United States, Maxfield in Los Angeles, California is the only retail location that has had the Apple Watch in stock, and customers continue to line up on a daily basis to attempt to get a device without needing to wait online.

Apple has been working hard to overcome supply issues and many Apple Watch orders have been shipping out ahead of their estimated delivery dates. Even the Apple Watches in shortest supply -- the Link Bracelet, the Modern Buckle, and the Leather Loop -- have begun shipping to consumers. It's unlikely Apple will be entirely caught up on shipments by the time June rolls around, but for models that are more common, like the Sport, shipping estimates have been slowly improving, suggesting there will enough inventory to begin sales in stores in June.

Article Link: Apple Watch Will Be Available in Apple Retail Stores Starting in June

Last edited:

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
So people will he able to walk into a store and buy the Watch basically at the same time when my Watch that I preordered on the first day will be delivered??

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I just hope I get my watch, pre-ordered 4/10 with June availability, before it shows up in stores.

britabroad

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Pre-orders

I do hope they fulfill their pre-orders first. Ordered mine on April 12, and it's set to be delivered last week in June. Won't be happy if it turns up in the stores before mine arrives.

Chcougar1

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
If they are in stores before I get my preorder from 4/11 I'm canceling my order. I know they won't care but that will be completely unacceptable.

ToM7

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Israel
i'm so pissed off if the watch will be in the apple stores, before I got mine that I ordered in April:mad:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It'll be interesting to see how much stock is gonna be held at each store (when the initial rush has died down.) Will they have a handful of each combination in stock and replenish as they are sold? Will there be combinations still only available online?

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
EDIT: Nevermind. Was trying to figure out the complication on the upper right-hand corner of the middle watch.

Last edited:

javidigital

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Sooooooo, I got charged for the watch yesterday morning around 5am and the site still says proccesing item. Wtf!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If you look on the online store, all models with the exception of the Space Black DLC coated Link Bracelet model have gone to 2-3, 3-4, and 5-7 week shipping estimates. Only that model says shipping in July for the 42mm version. They are catching up.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I do hope they fulfill their pre-orders first. Ordered mine on April 12, and it's set to be delivered last week in June. Won't be happy if it turns up in the stores before mine arrives.

I doubt a 42mm SBLB will be in stores if they haven't shipped all pre-orders out.

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I'm trying to get passed Tim Cook's quote regarding the launch, "could not be going better." Really? I think public perception might beg to differ with you Timmy. I think those who ordered on launch day or in the early days deserve to receive their watches before anyone can walk in off the street and pick one up. Still waiting on the 6/22 - 6/29 bus!!

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
Cook reportedly told employees that the Apple Watch launch "could not be going better,"

I would have to disagree! Ordered 4/10, still waiting.....:rolleyes:

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
In the meeting, details of which were shared by 9to5Mac, Cook reportedly told employees that the Apple Watch launch "could not be going better," and joked that he wished the company had more operational staff for a smoother launch.

That's a contradictory statement on it's face. If you wish you had more staff, you just provided a way that it "could be going better." And I think many people here and around the world would take issue with that statement.

It's like standing in front of your burning house, watching all of your worldly possessions engulfed in flames, and saying "I don't think this day could get any better...but we could use some more water"...

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
If you look on the online store, all models with the exception of the Space Black DLC coated Link Bracelet model have gone to 2-3, 3-4, and 5-7 week shipping estimates. Only that model says shipping in July for the 42mm version. They are catching up.

My order for a 42mm Space Grey Sport placed on 25th April has finally updated from a vague shipping date of "June" to a more accurate but slightly disappointing "5-6 weeks (22nd to 29th June)" - I was really hoping for early June rather than the last week of June.

I'll be upset if they are in the stores before my online order arrives...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.