Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Sweet! So now instead of waiting online, you can wait on line!

I'm guessing the lines won't be long. Anyone who really wants the watch enough to wait in line for it, has probably pre-ordered and most will hopefully have theirs by June.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
So a week or so after my Space Black Link arrives, people will be able to go to an Apple Store and buy one?

A lot of assumptions here but I'm going to assume that only the most plentiful watches will be available at first because there's no way Apple would put a watch in stock on a Retail shelf without first satisfying all online orders first. No way, no how.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008

Attachments

• w42sb-slbk-sel.png
    w42sb-slbk-sel.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 151

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
If they are in stores before I get my preorder from 4/11 I'm canceling my order. I know they won't care but that will be completely unacceptable.

A month ago some people were screaming at Apple for not having them in store. Now some people are screaming at Apple for having them in store.

Apple sells through multiple channels. It's ramping up supply, and it's about to start feeding another channel. Apple is NOT going to freeze all channels until the first one is completed!

You ordered on 4/11, a full 24 hours after the launch, when it was already common knowledge about supply constraints. You are a long way down the queue. A different queue is going to start moving.

I hope the complainers on this thread aren't like this in supermarket queues

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Sorry Apple, you should fulfil all your pre-orders first, early if possible

Currently orders are quoted as 5-7 weeks for the watch , that makes it around 3rd week of June as the earliest

My order (mid april) is supposed to be delivered end of June, which after the dates you're currently quoting for the watch model I ordered

very poor showing if pre-orders and existing orders are not going to be delivered before the stores get them

I'd imagine stores would receive models that are available, not all models. Models, such as yours, which have long delays aren't going to be sticked initially.

It doesn't make sense to hold back ALL models for stores until ALL pre-orders are filled.

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
and, if you see the model you want in a store, grab it and then cancel your order. It's not difficult.

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure he meant for Apple, not the customer.

As frustrating as it is waiting patiently for my watch, I'm sure Apple execs aren't too happy with the roll-out either. As much as people complain (myself included) Apple's intention was never to have people waiting 2 months for their watch. The stars weren't in alignment on this one. Who knows, maybe they wanted to wait till they had more of a supply to have a successful launch. Wall Street and the suits may have felt otherwise. It's all about the bottom line and return on investment....We will never really know.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Its hard to guage the watch as "phenomenom" because of all the supply issues. Reviews were tepid, but reported early orders strong. Follow on developer demonstrations have been laughable. So where is this product going? How do you re up consumer momentum when you supplies show up months late?

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
My local Apple Store already has a ton of iWatches sitting around. It seems odd that they wouldn't be for sale though, especially since they take up a pretty big chunk of the available floor space.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
I don't understand why people want them to fill preorders first. I will just buy one in store and cancel the preorder. Makes no difference to me.

There's a principle in play. Order early online and we will get one to you as soon as we can is the inherent message of preorder.

Will they offer an in store service of hassle free pickup of the watch you want and cancel the one you had on preorder with no fear of what you want being out of stock?

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
I damn well better get mine, sitting at "JUNE", ordered on 4/10 @ xx:08, PRIOR to someone being able to buy the same model and band in an Apple Store.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
The watch roll-out is about as bad as it could be given that it's Apple and they usually have a plan. Apple would never say things were bad of course. It's interesting that Tim Cook's strength was supposed to be logistics. Perhaps he put too much faith in a few new people and they didn't make it happen or gave inaccurate time frames. It's also possible that the company made the decision to rush the roll-out to March to make room for Apple TV or other product roll-outs in the 2nd half of the year. Hopefully the watch accessory issues won't affect other products.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
I'd imagine stores would receive models that are available, not all models. Models, such as yours, which have long delays aren't going to be sticked initially.

It doesn't make sense to hold back ALL models for stores until ALL pre-orders are filled.

Makes sense, so say that as opposed to marketing speak which is vague.

Many people have watches on preorder slated for the end of June delivery, they will probably arrive early or very early, all will be well, at least in PR terms.

There is an arrogance developing which even Steve's reality distortion field didn't fall to as it was contrary to his values.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Folks. If you ordered in April you are about to get a bump forward in your estimated delivery date. Basically, nearly everyone who has an expected delivery of March 22 has either received their watch or it is preparing for shipment. So the March 22 period folks are going to be fulfilled by the end of this week. Apple has basically given everyone after that a June 22 shipment period. Guess what? Apple isn't going to stop delivering watches for a month between March 22 and June 22. Therefore many of the June 22 folks are going to get another email, probably be the end of this week, updating their shipment period.

I'm sure if you pre-ordered, then you will get your watch before it is broadly available in stores. Now if you ordered after April 24, well then maybe you won't.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Folks. If you ordered in April you are about to get a bump forward in your estimated delivery date. Basically, nearly everyone who has an expected delivery of March 22 has either received their watch or it is preparing for shipment. So the March 22 period folks are going to be fulfilled by the end of this week. Apple has basically given everyone after that a June 22 shipment period. Guess what? Apple isn't going to stop delivering watches for a month between March 22 and June 22. Therefore many of the June 22 folks are going to get another email, probably be the end of this week, updating their shipment period.

I'm sure if you pre-ordered, then you will get your watch before it is broadly available in stores. Now if you ordered after April 24, well then maybe you won't.
Interesting retrospect. :confused:

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
So people will he able to walk into a store and buy the Watch basically at the same time when my Watch that I preordered on the first day will be delivered??

Frustrating, sure, but isn't this exactly the way it is for every new Apple product? I never pre-order iPhones but by keeping tabs on the Apple Store app I'm still able to get them at my local store before many online orders do.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania

Interesting indeed. I suspect your not allowed to say this but I like that you have. What I don't like is that this sort of comment isn't appended to news that the watches will be in stores.

Just in case they don't manage to fulfil a few, because it's OK to upset a few people so long as the masses are happy.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"and joked that he wished the company had more operational staff for a smoother launch."

that was a joke ?? :rolleyes:

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
My order for a 42mm Space Grey Sport placed on 25th April has finally updated from a vague shipping date of "June" to a more accurate but slightly disappointing "5-6 weeks (22nd to 29th June)" - I was really hoping for early June rather than the last week of June.

I'll be upset if they are in the stores before my online order arrives...

Incidentally - that's pretty similar to what the store shows for new orders (5-7 weeks)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.