Apple Watch will be like Disney MagicBand for the World

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lke, Mar 12, 2015.

1. lke macrumors 6502a

The Disney Magicband is an amazing product you could open the door of your room, access disney, buy in the stores, go to a restaurant, get a fast pass and more.
    You can read more about the magicband here: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/

I see the Apple Watch do the same and more but in the real world.

I see people using their Apple Watch for:

Opening their car, their house, the garage door, the hotel room door, a safe box

Also your apple watch will be your wallet, your ID, your medical record.

You will use your Apple Watch for renting a car, take a bike in paris, drive any car on the street like the share car companies you already know, access to museums, concerts and more

Your Apple Watch will replace the Disney MagicBand when you go to Disney and other parks like Universal Studios will let you use your Apple Watch for the same

As you can see the future of the apple watch will be amazing

2. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I'm so excited to see more things shown with home kit, that can be controlled with the watch. Do you know of any devices, or a website collection, that shows what home automation kits will be compatible with home kit? This is what I'm most excited for: light controls, alarm systems, projection screen controls, thermostat controls, etc all controlled by the same ecosystem.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple is quite often the company that gets this type of technology out in the mainstream enough for the rest of the planet to catch up. It didn't have NFC payments first, but it did do them in a way that is obviously way easier or popular than Google Wallet. Another drawback of how fragmented the Android market is.

I could definitely deal with a device like this or phones opening cars that use key fobs only. I have one of those, and I'm guessing the technology in the key isn't much different from NFC. Toyota charges about $400 for just the fob and $200 or so to program it. That's the cost of an iPhone 6 or a stainless steel Apple Watch, and the hardware isn't wasted by just being used on a car.

I continually have to explain to people who complain about Apple stuff that:
    1) It's not as expensive as you think for what you actually get and figuring in no virus software costs and what seems to be free basic tech support.
    2) The most advanced product with, say, only one port, no optical drive or only flash storage might not be for you -- now. But you probably don't own a computer with a floppy drive. Apple started killing those things and did quite well. Optical drives have their uses, but with all the stuff we download do we require one, especially in portable computers? I have a feeling in a few years a huge number of computers will be offered with a single USB-C port as we get rid of crappy corded peripherals. You figure out wireless charging on the new MacBook and you might almost never use that port. I mean does anybody still buy a telephone with a cord?

I don't know what the future holds for the Apple Watch or its competitors. But again the mass sales of an Apple product could lead companies to adopting some of those technologies -- man, those would especially help in the medical arena -- because it would be a larger market than if it was just one version of a Pebble watch. Disney has the same advantage because it has so many things concentrated in and around the park. Those of us who buy these now are the so-called early adopters, just like the people who bought the original iPhones that would be considered almost junk by anybody searching for a cellphone today.

4. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I totally agree!

My last trip to WDW I used a Magicband, and it is one of the things that makes me want this watch the most. I feel like the potential for what this device can do is a lot more than most people can imagine. Granted, the world doesn't have the infrastructure that WDW has, so you can't just wave it at everything and make it work yet, but I can foresee that at some point in the future, this type of technology can be pretty transformative.

5. NeutralGeek macrumors regular

Agreed.

*Cue for pro-Android platform touting their preferred platform's openness with their non-sense, off-topic, "Too bad iOS is not as open as Android ...". Just like in the other Apple Watch Disney thread as if because Android is so open you can use their smartwatches to get inside the Disney theme parks without an agreement with Disney. Or that Disney will have an agreement with Android just because it is more open.*

Apple Watch will be the preferred wearable to get agreements or exclusivity with companies on technology like this because Apple Watch and like other "Apple Walled Garden" technology are more secure. Smooth user experience and not as fragmented, now and in the future.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Shame apple clearly copied the tech or worked with Disney (given who's on the board), but missed the point - the Mickey device is $15 and does pretty much all the key things the apple watch can do.

Early prototype ?
    [​IMG]

7. NeutralGeek macrumors regular

Shame on you, Apple. The world needs a karaoke feature in AW.

8. NeutralGeek macrumors regular

9. Wallabe, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I was hoping during the keynote they would say the apple watch is compatible with the magic band RFID, just so I could try it out on my upcoming trip. Maybe in the second version, when Disney and Apple has everything together.

----------

You are right about the Android market. They had the NFC going for them years ahead of Apple, yet, there's no market place for it, except for some RFID patches or wireless camera remote apps. When Apple rolled out the Apple Pay, there are dozens of company who are already on board. Isn't that funny?

And I do understand about the key fob. I hate Toyota for that. One of my key fob has it's plastic broken, the key isn't full-tang, it stop short just behind the plastic cover. I contact them and the guy told me about $300 for just ONE KEY! All that, just because the plastic broke, the key and the electronic piece still works perfectly. Disney's Magicband has better technology than this key fob and they sell it for less than $13, and each one can be programmed to its owner. What a scam. No, I didn't pay for it. I'm looking to get a glue-gun.

10. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

YES! We beta tested the MagicBand two years ago. I was surprised at how quickly I grew to love that little band. When we were at the airport, I commented to DH how I wanted a MagicBand for my real life. The Apple Watch fits the bill for me and I'm so excited. I would love to see it function as a MagicBand inside the parks!

11. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

At least Apple Pay is available. It works at Disney World too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukl4gEEiLUY

12. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Yes, I saw that. The MagicBand also has several other functions including being your park ticket and your FastPass. I wouldn't wear the watch for just Apple Pay as you'd still need the band anyway - and you can pay using your MagicBand. Disney parks tech is notoriously glitchy, so I was hoping Apple would work with Disney to include more functionality. I'm sure it will come someday!