Apple Watch will not turn on

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gfbaldin, May 17, 2015.

1. gfbaldin, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015

gfbaldin macrumors newbie

So I came home after leaving my apple watch on the charger for a couple of hours. I noticed that the screen was flashing and there was an image of a squiggly line with the charger puck attached to it. I took the watch off the charger and now it will not turn on or do anything... Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If re-positiong the watch on the charger doesn't get it going, I'd be contacting Apple.

3. gfbaldin thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update I contacted apple and they said the watch needed to be replaced as there was a contact issue with the watch and charger. They said the watch was not getting enough power? They are sending me a new watch and I have to send this one back.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

What's the shipping estimate for your new watch?

5. gfbaldin thread starter macrumors newbie

2-3 days

6. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Nice, mine was two weeks.

7. Toni004 macrumors newbie

I realize this post is outdated - however, since I found this post via a google search in hopes of an answer for the issue and I actually found a solution I wanted to share it here . For anyone who this happens to charge your Apple Watch on an iPad power brick not the brick it comes with. If you don't have one you can buy one at the Apple Store for 18$. I brought my Watch to Apple and it was after warranty meaning they couldn't do ANYTHING. Lovely, I know. Moving on, I also placed my Watch in a ziplock bag full of silica . You can get silica in almost any grocery store in the kitty litter isle. After doing both things my Watch is now up & running . Thanks Apple- not really.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Your post doesn't explain anything. So you placed your Watch in a bag of silica because of water damage assumingly? Which you're blaming Apple for what? Past warranty or water damage? Which model Watch do you have? If it's the First Gen Watch or Series 1, it has no water resistance rating.

Apple doesn't cover Water damage if you're not aware. Blaming them for not helping you is your concern, not theirs. I know my reply is brisk, but to many times, these types of posts arise blaming Apple for what?

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The S0 and S1 have an IPx7 water resistances rating.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's not saying much. Which is also undermined intentionally and not advertised as "IPX7". Apple states it's "Splash resistant." Even though Apple is being cautious, it can get wet. Look at how Apple markets Series 2 and the Nike Edition. It's a complete lottery with Series 0 and Series 1 with water subjectivity. Some have zero issues with water exposure and others have had malfunctions with water.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

[​IMG]

12. Relentless Power, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Regardless Julie, it doesn't change anything and water damage isn't covered. It doesn't affect the OP's situation. A water rating indicates its threshold, unless specified or labeled "Proof", it's all subjective. Apple doesn't warranty any water damage for obvious reasons exhausted on multiple threads.

And, How many customers are looking for the IEC micro print for IEC water rating? Not many. Again, Apple advertises what they want you to see. Not what they want you to know.

13. fischersd, Feb 13, 2017

fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Pretty safe to say you'll never actually have a "Waterproof" designation for a watch...at least in our lifetimes. (that would mean regardless of depth or duration) Eg. leaving it at the bottom of the marianas trench for 4 months and no damage whatsoever.

In actuality the S0 watch turned out to have much higher water resistance than IPX7, so much so that all of these idiots took their IPX7 rated iPhones into the pool to attempt underwater photography (and then came on here and whined about the water damage). :)

@Toni004 - nice that you found a workaround.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Water proof Smart Watches are not main stream yet. But I still think we are leading their in some respects.

As far as the IP67X rating, Apple down plays all their products like this. Even the iPhone 6s has a zero resistance rating and it's passed quite a few tests due to the amount of adhesive it used for the internals.

When the Apple Watch first launched, Cook was quoted on launch day by stating he showered with his. Sure enough, I read on forums how various Watch owners were subjecting their Watch in the shower and obtaining Water damage. Then the feuds started by calling Cook a liar.

The best advice is this, if one decides to get the First Gen/Series One Watch submerged in water, it's the risk you take. Some have had zero issues with water submersion and others have experienced failure. I look at why risk it.

You can certainly rinse the Watch off, but those swimming or leaving the Watch submerged for longer periods are risking it. First Gen/Series 1 are rated for splash resistance. That's it.

15. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Again, there are no "water proof" watches. Period. Not even diving watches have an infinite rating.

Agreed on what IPx7 means (the 6 in the IP67 rating is the dust rating) - having an x means the watch doesn't have a dust rating. I felt Apple was doing a good job of covering themselves off by having the watch actually designed at a higher tolerance than the IPx7 rating. It meant that they could almost assuredly deny any water damage warranty claims (but, they gave many people the benefit of the doubt as a PR move - being a new product category for them).

Having a barometer in the iPhone (and possibly inside the S2 watch) would allow them (if they so choose) to also design a solution that would record the pressure inside the device at time of device failure. They took the easier route with the iPhone 7 - simply stating that water damage wasn't covered. Be interesting to see how they'll deal with people that take their series 2 watches scuba diving.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Did you read what I wrote previously? I never made a claim about a water proof Watch or stated there was one. Why are you even mentioning that? Seems your misquoting me. I stated it hasn't gone mainstream yet and it appears they are leading in that direction. Only water resistance ratings exist.

As stated before, Apple downplays their ratings on purpose. And rightfully so, as I already provided you the Cook quote. That said, some risk their devices in submersion when it's not rated, others are More cautious. Everyone differs. I think both my First Gen and Second Gen offer great water resistance for getting wet, but I'm not interested in swimming or any form of submersion.

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

You wrote: "Water proof Smart Watches are not main stream yet. But I still think we are leading their in some respects."

Hasn't gone mainstream suggests that there's some in the fringes....or actually under development. The engineering simply doesn't exist (otherwise the luxury watch market would have done so some time ago).

18. Relentless Power, Feb 13, 2017

Relentless Power

I never made any claims. You, I, and no one else doesn't know if it's a possibility. Nothing indicates it can't happen or will happen. For now, manufacturers are playing the teeter totter effect with dabbling with leaning in a direction where it could happen. Smart watches are still in a new era. Time Will tell.

19. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

smh. fischersd is right. Smartwatches do not have anything over traditional watches in water resistance. There is nothing in smartwatches that make them inherently more water resistant. If traditional watches have not gone total waterproof, smartwatches won't either.

Dude, you missed his point.

20. Relentless Power, Feb 13, 2017

Relentless Power

I still think the possibility exists we could potentially see a Water proof Watch one day. Rather it be a reality is questionable. I don't support the fact it's in development, but if it were a possibility, I think Garmin would be the first to do it in the smart Watch catergory.

21. Thai, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017

Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Rolex DeapSea, Omega Ploprof etc are all deep sea watches. There is a limit to all of them.

22. Relentless Power, Feb 13, 2017

Relentless Power

Limitations are always considered until it becomes a reality. Aside from Mechanical Watches, In the smart Watch era, being it's relatively new and evolving , it doesn't mean it can't happen. I think when fitness is considered, manufacturers consider the athletes environment. Sweat, water, rain, variable temperature all play roles in incorporating a device that perhaps could happen. I think Garmin will be the leader if we see a waterproof device. Their devices are for more in depth exposure for Rugged environments, especially for marathons.

23. Julien, Feb 13, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The FTC doesn't allow the term 'waterproof' to be used by a watch manufacture in the US. So there is no such thing and will NOT be any such thing (at least in the US).

EDIT: Here is a simplistic explanation: https://beckertime.com/blog/why-there-are-not-any-waterproof-watches/

24. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

25. Julien, Feb 13, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, and not going to happen in any European or developed country. In order to be waterproof it would have to be proven to work at the bottom of the Mariana Trench (16,000 psi) for an indefinite time.

EDIT: Rolex built an experimental timing device that was carried on James Cameron' trip. It did survive but was too large (and expensive) to be a watch.

EDIT: Here is Rolex's story: https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dweller/m116660-0003/magazine/rolex-deepsea-challenge.html