Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Just got a new iPhone 6. I'll be running the 9 PB on it as that's what my 5s is running and therefore my backup is on 9.
Anyway, how will my Watch backup? What do I have to do if anything?

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Yes, but be sure you are using the current backup because paring wipes your :apple:Watch and all data is gone.
Ok, so I'll:
1: backup my 5s to iTunes.
2: install PB on 6
3: restore backup to 6.
4: repair Watch and then it will be restored?
(Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I do it right :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Ok, so I'll:

yes after pairing it will ask if u want to restore from a backup or set up as new.
(you really should have waited 3 more weeks with your purchase btw :p )

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
yes after pairing it will ask if u want to restore from a backup or set up as new.
(you really should have waited 3 more weeks with your purchase btw :p )
Awesome thanks!
Long story actually. My sister got a 16gb 5s last week cause she doesn't like the size of the 6. I had a 32gb 5s. We went to the VZ store to swap hers out for a new 32gb 5s, but they didn't have any in stock or in the warehouse. So, her only option was to get my 32gb 5s and have me get a 64gb 6, which I now have :D
I had no option to wait. So far, just using it a little bit on the ride home before I've done any backing up or restoring it anything, I'm loving it! Beautiful design.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Ok, so I'll:
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%204.53.16%20PM_zpsvnkpgoo5.jpg

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
On another note, should I just set up as new, or restore from my old backup? Is there any noticeable difference in performance when restoring from an old backup? One time I did a setup as new on my 5s, I believe it was back on 8.0 or something. So the backup doesn't go back too far.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
On another note, should I just set up as new, or restore from my old backup? Is there any noticeable difference in performance when restoring from an old backup? One time I did a setup as new on my 5s, I believe it was back on 8.0 or something. So the backup doesn't go back too far.

Its totally up to you. Setting up as new does make your devices run a bit faster and a bit more stably, but you lose all data. Seeing how your 5s was setup as new, you probably don't have enough cruft built up to affect performance.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Its totally up to you. Setting up as new does make your devices run a bit faster and a bit more stably, but you lose all data. Seeing how your 5s was setup as new, you probably don't have enough cruft built up to affect performance.
Yeah I did do the 5s from a backup from a 4s, but one time when I had battery issues, I did a setup as new on it. So it shouldn't be too much accumulated data.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Your watch backup won't be up to date unless you unpair or reset it manually. You have to then do an iPhone backup after that.

The watch does backups about once every 24 hours, just like iCloud backups. You could very well erase your watch, missing something, fitness or otherwise.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Your watch backup won't be up to date unless you unpair or reset it manually. You have to then do an iPhone backup after that.

The watch does backups about once every 24 hours, just like iCloud backups. You could very well erase your watch, missing something, fitness or otherwise.
I unpaired the watch, and then backed my old 5s up to iTunes. Should be good right?

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
You will be fine and you do not need to set up your phone as new. I have done full backups via iTunes for years and never a problem.

Hope you are getting alone good with you new iPhone and watch!
I am! Everything has transferred over smoothly, got all my music that I need downloaded for offline listening in Apple Music, and I'm loving that beautiful 4.7 inch screen!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Just got a new iPhone 6. I'll be running the 9 PB on it as that's what my 5s is running and therefore my backup is on 9.
Anyway, how will my Watch backup? What do I have to do if anything?

You just got a new iPhone? You know in less then a month the new iPhone is out right?

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
You just got a new iPhone? You know in less then a month the new iPhone is out right?
Yeah I know. my sister needed a 32gb 5s cause the 16gb she just got wasn't enough space; we tried returning, but the VZW store was completely out of stock in the warehouse and at the store so our only option was to get the 6 which I got and my sister got my 5s. I had no option to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.