Apple Watch without phone nearby

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iPad Retina, Aug 19, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello I plan on getting an apple watch sport for high school, I was wondering if I can just bring the watch only just to keep track of time and my calendar as this I don't know what's going on in my day or it can get confusing. I would save all the calendar events on the phone, it syncs onto the watch hopefully and it keeps it there. Instead of carrying a piece of paper around everywhere and risk losing it. With the phone I could get in trouble with the phone. The watch is less noticeable and more confident from my stand point. I've read the manual and it doesn't mention it only mentions activity emails and stuff. I'm a bit confused as I don't want to carry my phone around everywhere in high school which could be risky as it's very easy to lose.

Would you be able to use Siri without wifi? I know the iPhone can't but I was wondering if they changed it.

2. lionsy macrumors 6502

Yes, it saves calendar data on the Watch and it works even in Airplane mode/without your phone nearby.

Siri and anything that requires a data connection doesn't work. The clock, apple pay and calendar work fine. Just make sure you sync it before going to school to update any events, etc.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You can't use Siri without the phone. Without the phone, you have a watch. Sync in the morning before you leave to make sure your calendar is updated on the watch.

4. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Thanks. Even reminders?

5. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Do you guys use a screen protector on your watch?

6. silverblack, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Apple Watch in high schools? Bad idea, at least in the next year or two until it becomes more popular. Right now, and this fall, it will draw too much unwanted attention. I guarantee.

[To respond to the next post] Of course, not the case for those live in Beverly Hills and everyone drives European sports cars to schools...

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Depends on the school. My daughter had hers in school last year. A few kids had them. No problem and no special attention.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Nope. Just enjoy the watch without a case or screen protector. If you have been wearing a watch already, it will be fine. If not, then you will get some dings until your natural reflexes protect it.

9. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

I've used my Watch as a watch for the past month. It is on the OS 2 Beta and my phone was reverted back to jailbroken 8.4. I keep it in Airplane Mode and did not unpair it when I downgraded so everything kept. My Apple Pay still works, I can see my steps and exercise etc (although it doesnt sync obviously), my work calendars for weekly meetings still alert me, and of course the time and date and everything is in sync. You wont see Weather or see anything which relies on communication with your phone, and you'll have either the little red phone icon on top or the orange airplane mode icon on top. Pretty sad that I dont miss the features which make the Watch great. It's nothing more than a $600 scratch magnet to me now.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Sounds really depressing. Assuming the jailbreak is to stay, I would have sold the watch if I were you.

11. iPad Retina, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I would be going for a space grey, less noticeable and better looking. Probably be wearing a long sleeve at times due to uniforms. It's Just your average school. I use it only to get stuff done. Know when and where my classes are if you know what I mean, as I don't want to pull out the phone or lose my schedule paper. And I don't want always carry the phone around even though they do allow personal electronic devices for educational use in classes. I use a 6 plus, please don't judge. I used it in making a movie for the whole school, and made a lot of time lapses and is a pretty big phone to carry in high school with about a thousand students. Has anyone got in trouble with using the Apple watch in school? I'm not a watch person but I find this can really help make me a bit more organized.

12. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I was planning to get one on Craigslist $350 sealed. Possibly negotiate with the price. I always take good care of my devices. Never ever broke a screen or cracked anything or watcher logged anything. I hate it when things get marked. I wish Iloome made curved glass screen protectors for the Apple watch

13. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

It looks like you have a part bricked Apple watch for now till iOS 9 with jailbreak comes out.

14. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Does anyone else use there Apple watch without there phone sometimes?