Apple Watch Workout App and Racquet Sports

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dwebstert, Apr 30, 2015.

1. dwebstert macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any feedback on using the Apple Watch Workout app to play racquetball? For instance, does it make sense to use the Other option choice in the Workout app or would one of the others like Indoor Run be more suitable?

These question could be made broader to apply to other indoor sports, like basketball, volleyball, etc.

2. dwebstert thread starter macrumors newbie

Playing racquetball with Apple Watch

Has anyone tried this using the workout app? If so, what mode did you use in the app, Other?

3. Diana Prince macrumors member

Diana Prince

Really interested in this as a racquetball player.

4. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

I tried playing RB with other. Didn't seem like much unexpected. I think the pacing would be off if you use indoor run

5. dwebstert thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify Zaneliu, you were happy with the results using Other? It seemed accurate?

6. maricc macrumors regular

i used it playing squash a couple times now and used "other". It said i was burning like 700 cal/hour so I'm skeptical... But it seemed ok. The one big difference between the Apple Watch and my Fit Bit HR is the steps counted. My fitbit would record like 4,000 steps/hour while playing squash whereas the apple watch seems to only add a couple steps (100-200/hour?).

I didn't even consider that changing the typer of workout would change the data, does this happen?

7. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

I'm pretty comfortable with the steps and distance. It's a lot less than my jawbone but that's a good thing because my jawbone always said I had ran 2 miles during a game.

But my  watch has been consistently low on active calories whether that's RB or running. Not sure if it's legit or not. I know my heart rate stays relatively low and in control from training so that could be affecting it.

But I haven't used it enough yet with RB to make a solid statement. I'm still wearing my milanese loop and waiting for a WSB

8. dwebstert thread starter macrumors newbie

Maricc, I'm still waiting to receive my watch so I'm unsure. But of the current choices, Other seems to be the most likely one to use for racquet sports. Hopefully Apple will add an option for racquet sports in a future update.

9. maricc macrumors regular

I wish they would let your categorize the workouts however you'd like

10. rcarter3636 macrumors member

I used other for a tennis workout and the next day let activity keep the data.
    Pretty close with both. Lot of running for 1:15 on both. Distance with other 2.17 mile and activity was 2.04 the next day.
    Calorie burn 480 other and 427 activity.
    Both days using while connected to iPhone.

11. dwebstert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback.

12. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I played Tennis using the 'other' setting and racked up 938 calories (total) for a 2 hour, fairly intense game which seems okay to me.

My average HR was 124BPM (49 BPM resting) so that gives you an idea of the intensity. I'm 178cm, 79Kg and 42 years old.

Hope this helps,
    Craig.

13. dwebstert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!