Apple Watch Workouts

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tl01, Oct 13, 2016.

1. tl01 macrumors 65832

Do these work out options exist? I thought I saw them on my watch at one point and then they were gone. Apple shows them on their screen at the store. Do they just exist because they renamed workouts? The genius thought that maybe it is a third party app in the apple workout app.

Attached Files:

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

My guess is they are just saved versions that are user created. For example, when I golf, I do a workout other and then save the workout as golf and then I have an option for golf. I did the same for different workouts.

3. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    This

4. Julien, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Here is a list of all Workout under Other. It is 15 screens worth of workouts so I will just post the first and last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Archery
    AUS Football
    Badminton
    Barre
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Bowling
    Boxing
    Cross Training
    Curling
    Dance
    Downhill Skiing
    Functional Training
    Golf
    Gymnastics
    Handball
    Jump Rope
    Kickboxing
    Martial Arts
    Mind & Body
    Mixed Cardio
    Paddling
    Pilates
    Play
    Racquetball
    Rolling
    Rugby
    Saling
    Skating
    Snow Sports
    Snowboarding
    Step Training
    Strength Training
    Surfing
    Table Tennis
    USA Football
    Volleyball
    Wrestling
    Yoga

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65832

See mine doesn't have that under Other. I have a series 2 that came with Watch OS 3 and it says it is up to date. When I go to other it asked me to specify my calorie goal.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

After you are through with the Other workout hit End. Then scroll down past Save and hit the Name Workout button. After selecting it (up to two) will show up in the opening Workout list.

7. nicho macrumors 68000

To add to this, once you've done it a couple of times it will add it as an extra option when you start the workout. I now get other - strength training and other - core training as workout options to pick and don't need to bother naming them at the end. When I'm running them, they'll also show the name in the top left instead of "other".

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Does anyone know if picking a specific "Other" workout would affect how much calories/exercise are credited for that workout?

9. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I believe that it is the same as the generic Other workout. When I named one, it didn't change the calories burned.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I think the extra names are there for the user's sake and not to use a different calculation.

Test it by doing the same workout routine but using the name of the logged session. Say you do your core training routine on different days. On one day, log it as Other - Core Training; do the routine on another day and log it as Other - Strength Training; do it yet another time and log it as Other - Yoga.

I'd bet it would give similar numbers each time. If it doesn't, then maybe Apple really included different formulae for calories.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I will try this. I just wondered if anyone else has done this already. ;)

12. Julien, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Most of the 'extra' names are for mixed anaerobic activities. These type of activities can't be accurately measured by HR. So I'm sure they are all the same. I doubt Apple has invested the time developing algorithms for the ones that are closer to aerobic like Jump Rope or Downhill Skiing. And of course activities like Mixed Cardio or Cross Training could consist of so many different combinations of assorted activities.

13. nicho macrumors 68000

There's no difference in calorie calculations, it's mostly for filtering in the iPhone activity app.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Anyone not getting a calorie count with strength training? It just sits at zero the entire time. I have to use cross training to get a calorie count. Oddly enough Motifit does the same thing.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Use Other and save as Strength Training.

[​IMG]

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Is that normal to get 0 calories though? Just curious, especially since Motifit app does it also and I'm assuming it gets its info from the AW.

17. nicho macrumors 68000

there's no "cross training" option in the workout app so what you're saying is a little confusing.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are ruining the Workout app on Other and weight training and getting 0 calories? If so something is wrong. Do you do any cardio (and you should) using any of the other Workout app like Running, Stair Stepper, Cycling, etc. and also getting 0 calorie?

If so then you should probably try re-paring.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2016 ---
    Yes there is:

[​IMG]

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Thanks, I'll try to re-pair and see if that helps.

20. nicho macrumors 68000

by the time you get to that option, the workout is done. thus the naming is irrelevant. an other workout is an other workout is an other workout.

21. Julien, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Well aware of that and read my post #12 in this thread that I made Saturday as proof.:eek: However I'm also aware that Cross Training is an available option irrelevant as it may be.:D

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-workouts.2006561/#post-23728147

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is weird. Strength and Cross are both names you can pick for Other, so according to what people have been saying, they should behave the same way.

23. nicho macrumors 68000

It's a name for "other". it's not a workout in itself. also, it's not an option in the list of workouts; merely a name to be given at the end (as said above).

24. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I believe it can eventually become a name for a workout. In another thread (or maybe this one) someone said that when you give an "other" workout the same name, it will remember that for you and present it as an option from the main menu. You must do this multiple times though to make it work.

25. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

For anyone that uses MyFitness Pal. When you chose other and then rename it to Strength or Cross Training the workout doesnt import to Myfitness Pal for some reason.

But if you leave it as other it will import to MyFitness pal.

Anyone else seen this?