Apple Watch Wristband Patent

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jk35993Mn, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jk35993Mn macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding to the Apple Watch's wristband patent.

I've heard that Apple has a patent for the Apple Watch's wristband hooks.

Please see the attached photo ( Circled in red )
    [​IMG]

Am I allowed to make a wristband for Apple Watch with my own design and sell them?

Of course, to fit the Apple Watch, the hooks would need to look the same.

And if it is illegal to manufacture your own design of the wristband, how are people selling them on Amazon or personal websites?

Please clarify.

Thank you

2. Jk35993Mn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I am considering making the full band, including the lugs as well.

I've read the webpage you have linked, but it says only "Apple made lugs".

It's not that I want to sell the Apple's lugs, but to product lugs on my own as well as the wristband.

Is there any article or document that says it is illegal to make the wristbands+lugs ?
    ( Note that I am not producing the exact designs of wristbands that Apple already has )

Thanks!

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Look here under 2.1 : https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/Band-Design-Guidelines-for-Apple-Watch.pdf

You can make your own lugs. Just make sure they follow the guidelines Apple describes -- no sharp edges, must not get stuck in the "up" position, etc.

In other words, make sure they don't suck. ;)

Also, read the Terms & Conditions that are included in the zip file posted on the page Julien linked to. Briefly, Apple themselves say you can make lugs as long as they (1) meet the quality standards, and (2) don't pretend that they're Apple-made by using Apple branding on them.