Apple Watch's Calorie tracking vs. Fitbit Charge HR?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aschaeferusn, Apr 27, 2015.

1. aschaeferusn macrumors member

I'm looking forward to getting my SG Sport, whenever that may be...

I've really enjoyed wearing my Charge HR for the past couple of months, and have been particularly impressed with its estimations of total (resting + active) calorie burn throughout the day - it adjusts my MyFitnessPal count accordingly, and I've made pretty easy work of losing and maintaining weight with this method and tracking food.

The Charge HR constantly tracks HR, and I've found it to be pretty accurate. Is there a chance that the Apple Watch will provide a similar overall calorie burn in the Health app? Or should I just plan on keeping my Fitbit on one arm and the AW on the other? I'm really hoping that I can use the AW as a full-on replacement for the Charge HR, even though I'll have to charge it once a day rather than every 5 days or so.

I'm sure I'm missing a dozen questions or so, too, so I'll probably ask further in this thread.

2. aschaeferusn thread starter macrumors member

3. ElctrcJellyfish macrumors member

The Apple Watch does provide a total calorie burn. That being said, at least for me and a handful of others, the resting calorie estimate that it uses is so completely off that the total calorie burn is meaningless. I do use my active calorie number and add to my estimated BMR to get a total calorie burn, but I wish I didn't have to add two numbers in my head.

EDIT: My AW is replacing my Fitbit Surge, and for the record I've found that their active calorie burn to be very, very similar to Fitbit's. Once they fix the resting calorie thing, which I'm sure they will, I think it will be a complete replacement.

4. aschaeferusn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just keep wearing my Charge HR until I see the two start reaching some sort of parity

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Want to bump this as I just got an AW to replace my Fitbit Charge HR.

I had been following these instructions to keep my activity and TDEE in sync with MFP:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/e...do-i-adjust-my-goals-to-work-with-fitbit-tdee

I told MFP to use the AW for steps instead of the Fitbit. I was expecting MFP to pull in calories burned throughout the day from my AW like FB. But that didn't happen.

Basically, I want to replicate the behavior between FB and MFP that I've enjoyed the last 6 months with my AW.

-- Fitbit tracks steps and specific workouts, and turns those into calories burned. Dumps that data into MFP.

6. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I use Lifesum and after several updates, it now works (almost) like a breeze with AW.
    It just subtracts the active calories from your daily goal. Works very well, I already lost 2 kgs since the AW came out!! :)

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I use the FitBit Surge and the calorie burn is no where near the same as on the AW. I also miss the constant HR tracking of the Surge. The watch has been of great help during my work week out in the field so I will not be giving it up. I do not think the AW will ever match a device like the Surge for the health applications. The FitBit app was killer in comparison to the AW.

Not blaming the AW as it does so much more.