Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
The thickness seems to be the one thing I'd like to see improved in future versions. Overall I like it, but some of the renders preceding the launch imo look better.

It seems that they focused more on fashion and style, than utility. Like, they could have stowed the battery(s) in parts of the band, perhaps even on the bottom side (palm side) of your wrist, reducing the thickness of the overall watch.

It's a catch 22... go for style, which is what they did with all the different bands.

I imagine future generations of the watch will be thinner.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
It will not be a battle for thinness in the fashionably watch category as proven by the most popular and gorgeous luxury watches in the planet.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It will not be a battle for thinness in the fashionably watch category as proven by the most popular and gorgeous luxury watches in the planet.

Plus it cheaper and far easier to make a mechanical fat chunky watch.

The genuine classy and high quality craftsmen ones, over the ones that you can brag over the amount of bling you have, would be the thin watches.

Harder and harder to make a mechanical watch that's thin.

Fashion does not always follow craftsmanship and quality though.

----------

http://en.piaget.com/watches

http://en.piaget.com/watches/ultra-thin-watches

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Leave the toy'sh skinny, funny looking watches to Swatch.

The thicker and heavier a watch is will feel like more sex and oh lala.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Leave the toy'sh skinny, funny looking watches to Swatch.

The thicker and heavier a watch is will feel like more sex and oh lala.

Ahhh.

So thinner is better, and higher quality, and shows greater skill and craftsmanship and design in every one of Apple's Products, apart from the Watch.

That's the one device from their whole range you feel should not be made slimmer in the future?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It seems that they focused more on fashion and style, than utility. Like, they could have stowed the battery(s) in parts of the band, perhaps even on the bottom side (palm side) of your wrist, reducing the thickness of the overall watch.

I'm sure we would see lots of complaints about thick ugly bands and being restricted to the strap it was sold with if Apple tried that.

I imagine future generations of the watch will be thinner.

I don't see why not if there are improvements in power management and battery technology which allow it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Do we know that Apple could have moved battery to the watch band? And if they were able to do that would it have been more expensive or limited the amount or customization with watch bands? How do you add battery to a Milanese Loop? Knowing how Apple is obsessed with thinness I find it hard to believe the Watch is thicker by choice.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Well, it is their most personal iDevice ever. The current Jony Ive series of :apple: Watch is directly proportional to the lead designer's body (Jony Ive). :p Probably, we will get several more personal version in the next edition (not unlike the series in other brands). We will have officially, the Jony Ive's :apple: Watch. Then Ms Piggie is probably going to camp out and stop with the moaning here about it's current chubbyness because there will be Tim Cook or tribute to Steve Jobs edition / series as well. :p

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Do we know that Apple could have moved battery to the watch band? And if they were able to do that would it have been more expensive or limited the amount or customization with watch bands? How do you add battery to a Milanese Loop? Knowing how Apple is obsessed with thinness I find it hard to believe the Watch is thicker by choice.

Exactly right.

It's a compromise.

Make it thinner, less battery, less features.
Make it thicker more battery, more features.

They made it the maximum thickness their feedback/team surveys, call it what you will felt they could get away with.

The interesting thing will be how they move forward from here.

You could keep it the same size and make better internals, or you can make slightly better internals and shave a fraction off it's thickness.

We all know the arguments from people who wish Apple would stop making iPhones and iPads thinner, and make them technically better.

Apple seem to want to balance it and try and do both. Make things a little better and make them a little thinner.

iPad NOW the same thickness as iPad1 could be made technically FAR FAR better than the iPad Air, but Apple don't want to do that.

We will always argue with that.

Myself, the thickness of the iPad1 is fine, I honestly don't care as it makes zero difference to the way I use it, if it's 3mm or 13mm thick.

For a watch, something on my wrist all the time, and something I, SHOCK HORROR want my sleeve to go OVER. Not butt up against, I'd like a lightweight and thin watch so I don't even notice I'm wearing it.

I don't feel any need to show any purchase off. I grew out of that year ago :)

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Lol Just realized the irony with the username and the obsession with watch super thinness. #

Make it thinner, less battery, less features.
Make it thicker more battery, more features.

They made it the maximum thickness their feedback/team surveys, call it what you will felt they could get away with.

The interesting thing will be how they move forward from here.

Myself, the thickness of the iPad1 is fine, I honestly don't care as it makes zero difference to the way I use it, if it's 3mm or 13mm thick.

For a watch, something on my wrist all the time, and something I, SHOCK HORROR want my sleeve to go OVER. Not butt up against, I'd like a lightweight and thin watch so I don't even notice I'm wearing it.

I agree that it'll be interesting to see what happen chooses. Ironically, I'm the exact opposite of your thoughts. I think the iPad needs to be thin to reduce the weight and usability of carrying around, traveling, holding, etc. On the other hand, while I wouldn't say the watch is the ideal thickness, it's acceptable (as you alluded to). In fact the watch I'm wearing right now is essentially the exact thickness, and holds extremely similar surface area dimensions as well (as close as a round watch can be, haha). Now sure, this watch is a super cheapy that I got from walmart 5 years ago, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I find this size/thickness absolutely acceptable. The weight on a watch will be negligible, so that's not an issue. The biggest issue with the Awatch going forward will be battery life. This is why I would rather see the Awatch stay the same size for a few generations untill they are able to get battery life up to at least 3 full days (for weekend travels). This is the minimum battery life (in my mind) before it's acceptable to start reducing the size.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I agree that it'll be interesting to see what happen chooses. Ironically, I'm the exact opposite of your thoughts. I think the iPad needs to be thin to reduce the weight and usability of carrying around, traveling, holding, etc. On the other hand, while I wouldn't say the watch is the ideal thickness, it's acceptable (as you alluded to). In fact the watch I'm wearing right now is essentially the exact thickness, and holds extremely similar surface area dimensions as well (as close as a round watch can be, haha). Now sure, this watch is a super cheapy that I got from walmart 5 years ago, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I find this size/thickness absolutely acceptable. The weight on a watch will be negligible, so that's not an issue. The biggest issue with the Awatch going forward will be battery life. This is why I would rather see the Awatch stay the same size for a few generations untill they are able to get battery life up to at least 3 full days (for weekend travels). This is the minimum battery life (in my mind) before it's acceptable to start reducing the size.

I do wonder what Apple think about battery life.

I imagine they could very well feel there is no need for the watch to ever have a battery life better than the phone.
The watch is not a separate device. You need to use it along side your phone.
You recharge your phone every day, generally, so I can imagine they may feel, well, if you put your phone on charge every night, then you can just as easily put the watch on charge at the same time.
I can easily see Apple following this logic, and never seeing any need to have the watch able to last days, as what's the point as you are charging the phone anyway.

My view on watches, and, I have zero interest in fashion or what other people are wearing, or any need to show off anything I own.

I think my view stems from, when I grew up, men wore, what I would call classy watches. medium to slim, gold if they were lucky enough, perhaps gold plate, or I suppose steel, all with leather straps.
What I think we would today call a classy dress watch. Those were the classy and expensive watches grown ups wore.

Myself, being a teen, with teen friends, didn't want that. We wanted something silly looking Big, Chunky, multiple hands, divers dials, all useless crap, but hey, it's what kids wanted. Big, Loud, Cumbersome, things that did all the things you never needed, but you could show off to your mates with. Hey it's what kids do when you are immature :)

I passed that phase, and appreciated the very understated look. I started to appreciate subtle clean lines, tasteful, no need to have bling, no need to show anyone anyway.

However, I did notice the styles I left behind as a child/teen become more and more popular, and now I see adults wearing things I'd be embarrassed to be seen out the house with.

Like having a Gold BMW with a air wing bolted to the trunk, giant speakers, flashing blue LED's and bouncing suspension.

That's what most mens watches look like to me today. Like the thing a teenager with no idea of taste wears, and in a few years will grow out of.

But then, I guess we all have different tastes, esp in different countries, so, to each their own :)

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Apple Watch is not thick by any means if you actually look at what kinds of watches are popular among human beings, unlike some on this forum.

Almost all of the popular watches (luxury or not) on the market today are NOT thinner than the Apple Watch.
These brands listed below should cover more than 90% of total sales in luxury/mechanical watches:

Rolex
Omega
Tag Heuer
Longines
Swatch
Tissot
Panerai
IWC
Cartier
Hublot
Breitling
Audemars Piguet
Patek Philippe
Vacheron Constantin
Breguet
Chopard
A. Lange & Sohne
Casio
Seiko

Which among these sells many watch models that are significantly thinner than the Apple Watch?

Rolex - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Omega - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Longines - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Swatch - probably most of their models are thinner than the Apple Watch
Panerai - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Tissot - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Cartier - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Hublot - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Breitling - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Audemars Piguet - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch (all Royal oak offshores)
Patek Philippe - almost all watches thinner than the Apple Watch
Vacheron Constantin - almost all watches thinner than the Apple Watch
Breguet - almost all watches thinner than the Apple Watch
Chopard - not sure, but probably almost all watches thinner than the Apple Watch
A. Lange & Sohne - almost all watches thinner than the Apple Watch
Casio - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch
Seiko - most watches are similar or thicker than Apple Watch although Grand Seikos might be thinner by 1mm or so.

So as you can see, except for Swatch's plastic watches and some haute horlogerie brands like PP, VC, ALS, Apple watch is comparable.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
You forgot Timex...

I think it really depends on the market. For those looking for a fitness watch, it is on par with other fitness watches in terms of size. For other watches I've seen most people wear (beyond those big honking watches you'll see men wear sometimes), watches tend to be relatively small and the Apple watch is relatively large. I remember when buying a watch for my husband, he didn't want anything bigger than 36mm (smallest apple watch is 38mm) and he wanted something relatively thin. His wanted something unobtrusive for work as well as something that had some fitness features so it was a difficult search. Of course he'd have no interest in the apple watch for multiple reasons.

But anyway, you combine the size which seems relatively large with the thickness and it seems much larger than most watches, to me at least.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple Watch is not thick by any means if you actually look at what kinds of watches are popular among human beings, unlike some on this forum.

Almost all of the popular watches (luxury or not) on the market today are NOT thinner than the Apple Watch.

You keep posting this stuff, but none of it makes the Apple watch thin.

All you are doing is continually pointing out that over the last few years, a large thick watch has become fashionable.

And again. Even Proving a large thick watch is popular and fashionable, does not make the Apple watch thin.

By that logic, Line up 80% of American's who may be overweight, then judge yourself by them, and find you are the same size.

That does not make you normal, you are overweight as well.

There is a good article here, that explains reasons why the large thick watch has become fashionable over recent years:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/fashion/mens-watches-keep-getting-bigger.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And Strangely enough, remarks from that explanation of:

“Guys wanted a fine timekeeping device that not only kept time but said something about status and personal style,”

“It gets attention, and it makes a statement,”

“It’s still the ultimate look-at-me,” said James Wallman, editor of LS:N Global, a publication of the London trend-watching firm the Future Laboratory.

For now, though, the big watch holds steady as an acceptable symbol of status. “You can’t really do that with a car anymore,” said Watts Wacker, the chief executive of FirstMatter, a marketing consultancy.

These are all exactly and specifically why I think guys like this as sad people, and the very opposite of my way of thinking.

Of course we all have out own taste. I just find it sad men are so insecure about themselves they needs to use gimmicks to try and prove something to other men. :(

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You keep posting this stuff, but none of it makes the Apple watch thin.

All you are doing is continually pointing out that over the last few years, a large thick watch has become fashionable.

And again. Even Proving a large thick watch is popular and fashionable, does not make the Apple watch thin.

By that logic, Line up 80% of American's who may be overweight, then judge yourself by them, and find you are the same size.

That does not make you normal, you are overweight as well.

There is a good article here, that explains reasons why the large thick watch has become fashionable over recent years:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/fashion/mens-watches-keep-getting-bigger.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And Strangely enough, remarks from that explanation of:

“Guys wanted a fine timekeeping device that not only kept time but said something about status and personal style,”

“It gets attention, and it makes a statement,”

“It’s still the ultimate look-at-me,” said James Wallman, editor of LS:N Global, a publication of the London trend-watching firm the Future Laboratory.

For now, though, the big watch holds steady as an acceptable symbol of status. “You can’t really do that with a car anymore,” said Watts Wacker, the chief executive of FirstMatter, a marketing consultancy.

These are all exactly and specifically why I think guys like this as sad people, and the very opposite of my way of thinking.

Of course we all have out own taste. I just find it sad men are so insecure about themselves they needs to use gimmicks to try and prove something to other men. :(

You keep posting this nonsense about apple warch being thick.

Thick relative to what?

This is not a discussion of absolute.
Yes, apple watch has a thickness that can be measured.
No it is not thick compared to other watches.

I have no time to read your long sand in the vag rants but seriously, get a clue.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Apple Watch = iPad
Apple Watch 2 = iPad 2

How many buyers will feel bad when the second generation Apple Watch makes the first look like a brick on the wrist? This is what I am afraid of, but I know I will not be able to resist buying the first generation Apple Watch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple Watch = iPad
Apple Watch 2 = iPad 2

How many buyers will feel bad when the second generation Apple Watch makes the first look like a brick on the wrist? This is what I am afraid of, but I know I will not be able to resist buying the first generation Apple Watch.

If people were always concerned about new tech being better than current tech they'd never buy anything. The first generation of Watch will probably have a lot of people taking a wait and see approach. But I think there will be enough early adopters to make it successful.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If people were always concerned about new tech being better than current tech they'd never buy anything. The first generation of Watch will probably have a lot of people taking a wait and see approach. But I think there will be enough early adopters to make it successful.

Agreed.

Watching Apple spend time and busting a gut to create a market, it's bound to sell to many, we will see how much of a shock they get in the future on the upgrade path as no-one really knows.

My gut feeling if the form will not change much for some time.

If they thin it down they will limit themselves too soon, battery tech is moving too slow. I think they would rather improve the battery, perhaps improve the screen, and add some more sensors than make it thinner too soon, so the 1st gen may look up to date externally for a generation or 2 or 3.

Time will tell of course, but unlike the phone and iPad there is little room to play with to start with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.