Apple water damage warranty

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iPad Retina, Aug 21, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello I'm planning on getting an apple watch sport and I was wondering if I do get an apple watch sport and let's say I wash my hands or someone splashes water just for fun at me and my watch gets water damaged, will Apple replace it? The is not common on the iPhone of course but since they advertise it as water resistant, will they cover it? I can't really find a straight answer for this. I'm pretty sure they won't cover it if summerged underwater but would they? it's got the ipx7 will they cover it. There's really no clear answer. Thanks!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have showered with it, I've run in the rain with it, and I've washed it off in the sink. I think the AW is not going to be affected by some water - unless you take it diving ;)

3. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Some people have run into an issue like this and I'm thinking of getting one slightly marked at the top, it looks minor, very very minor, but who knows! Plus these are made in mass production. There all not gonna be equal. Here is the picture the seller had sent to me will purchase through Craigslist. The watch was bought June 12 I believe. And it's only $300 original price was $350. Could probably talk him down even more possibly. Depends. It's in one of those drive by towns you can say. Seems pretty good most of them are in the 350-450 range.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

How did this thread instantly switch from water damage to a user-induced scuff?

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yea, it should be titled" What the hell Am I thinking" paying only 15% less than a new :apple:Watch costs for a scratched up and used :apple:Watch.:D

7. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Well what price should I buy it at. Without the seller being lowballed???????

8. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Why not start your own thread instead of high jacking someone else's thread.

9. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Since Apple tells you to run it under water if you get the sticky crown you can just tell them that was all you did.

10. Rok73, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Seriously, do yourself something good and buy a new one for 50$ more. This one's not worth buying. I couldn't live with such an obvious scuff that's why I bought Apple Care+ for my Sports, too. Plus you have the pleasure of unboxing a new and flawless Apple product yourself.

Also, I don't see how any water damage would be covered IF you buy this second-hand unless there is Apple Care+ included. The scuff is a damage caused by the seller him-/herself and is not covered under the standard Apple warranty.

As for the coverage of a water damage: you stated it yourself, the Apple Watch has an IPX7 rating. In case of a water damage, unless Apple can't prove that you dove into the Mariana Trench it will be covered by the standard warranty.

11. PilotC150 macrumors member

He's not hijacking anybody's thread. He started this thread!

12. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

This is my thread. Sorry about changing subjects.

13. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I understand the scuff isn't under warranty of course but what if water does get into the watch. And has nothing to do with the mark.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Plan and simple you can get it wet. You can't dive with it but you can do a fair bit. I bath/shower with mine at least once a week to clean it. My Milanese loop goes in a sonic bath once a week to clean that. The only advice I'd give is if you decide to saturate it then shake with off with the speaker / mic in a downwards position. Other than that your golden.

15. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Wow you take your watch to the limits! ;)

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Oh you want a full list?

Swimming, theme park water ride, torrential rain, bath, shower, worked at -22'c for 8 hours and plus 37'c for the same duration plus others I'm sure I've missed. I've got ac+ it goes wrong it goes wrong simple

17. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, Apple could say it is related to the scuff, no one really can answer that. I wouldn't take the risk.

It's $50, come on. If you really want the watch spend the money for a new one.

18. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Well don't for get about the taxes 8% tax. + $400 = $432 - $300 = save $132 buying used.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Obviously there will be (and have already been) water damage due to manufacturing defects. We've seen posts of the rubber O-ring seal coming out of the crown and the back of the case popping off. Those surely would've sustained water damage if submerged.

However, such water damage will be covered under the standard warranty. Apple has to honor it because it's advertised and sold with an IPX7 rating. Even if you buy it through CL or eBay you still have the standard one-year warranty.

20. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Pretty hard to water damage a good condition Apple watch. I snorkeled with sea turtles off the beach at Tintamarre (St. Martin), Creole Rock, and Trunk bay in St. John. I actually went down about 12-15 feet in several places, and the watch still works fine. Spent hours in the water many times.

21. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I guess the real question is, "Will Apple honor a warranty repair for water damage even if the Watch shows signs of physical abuse?"

At best, maybe they'd take it apart and see if the exterior damage compromised one of the seals. It would be wishful thinking, though.

22. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The physical damage would have to be more substantial than what's seen on the watch the OP is considering, as Apple considers cosmetic damage normal wear and tear.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

maybe it was HARD water damage :p

24. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Is this scuff big enough to cause water damage.

25. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

It's not that big, as JayLenochiniMac said; but it's also across the seam with the front glass, which could be judged as a weak point. If it were on the side of the case, it would be harder to blame as a water ingress point.