Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "Wearables, Home, and Accessories" category, which used to be called the "Other" category, has surpassed the iPad in revenue and is closing in on the Mac lineup as well.

The Wearables, Home, and Accessories category brought in $7.3 billion during the quarter, compared to $6.7 billion for iPad and $7.4 billion for Mac. Overall, Wearables, Home and Accessories category growth was up 33 percent compared to the $5.5 billion it earned in the year-ago quarter.

applewatchseries4watchfaces-800x659.jpg

Apple Watch, HomePod, Apple TV, AirPods, Beats products, iPod touch, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories are included in the category, but it's Apple's wearables that have been driving growth.

The wearables category has been setting regular quarterly revenue records thanks to the strength of Apple Watch sales. In Q4 2018, for example, Apple saw wearables growth over 50 percent, and we're likely to hear more about wearables during today's earnings call.

As Asymco's Horace Dediu pointed out at the beginning of January, the Apple Watch is also now a "decidedly bigger business" than Apple's iPod ever was, based on historical revenue records and estimated Apple Watch sales.

applewatchipodcomparison-800x254.jpg

Apple does not break down Apple Watch sales individually, lumping the data in with sales of other products in the Wearables, Home, and Accessories category, but the company does often give hints on how well the Apple Watch is selling.

With iPhone sales stagnating somewhat, Apple will be increasingly relying on revenue from its wearables category to drive growth. The company will also be looking to its services category, which has been bringing in more revenue than the iPad and the Mac categories for quite some time now.

Article Link: Apple's 'Wearables, Home and Accessories' Category Now Bringing in More Revenue Than iPad, and Soon Mac

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
While my Apple watch hasn't got to the point where I can ditch my phone, this will all change when Apple releases bendable phones. I predict bracelet type devices which one can view info on their wrist or remove and fold out will be the next big thing in wearables.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
More like Apple - 1000 MR Forums - 0

This is nothing new. Trash talk has been going back since forever, though it’s probably more toxic now. This same MR forum claimed the first iPod would fail. :rolleyes:

I don’t think that’s entirely true.

By my count Apple have a lot more points than that :p
I was trying to be generous in my rounding.
Actual Calculations:
Apple - Over 9000 :D, MR Forums - Syntax Error :mad:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It's kinda funny how MR members claimed half of these products were going to fail.
Apple - 1, MacRumors Forums - 0
Let’s not forget Apple Watch Edition failed miserably… Also the original Apple Watch and software was a joke. Yea Apple Watch is good now but back then it was a joke.
[doublepost=1548800611][/doublepost]
More like Apple - 1000 MR Forums - 0

This is nothing new. Trash talk has been going back since forever, though it’s probably more toxic now. This same MR forum claimed the first iPod would fail. :rolleyes:
The first iPod did fail, it wasn’t until they used usb and opened up iTunes to windows did it succeed.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
More watchbands please.

I was always a critic until I got one.

I love my Apple Watch. Never thought I’d say it. Series 0 wasn’t exciting but once it got cellular and apps that made it a smart watch I could not imagine not owning an Apple Watch.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
It's kinda funny how MR members claimed half of these products were going to fail.
Apple - 1, MacRumors Forums - 0

Yeah, think of all the great innovation that is been made and brought to the world thanks to watches, headphones And accessory trinkets.? /s

Soon Apple TV series and idiot shows will be ahead of the Mac as well.

As a professional that uses Apple products to develop what is arguably equipment of benefit to society, Apple under Cook is a 5 star clusterfrag.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Yeah, think of all the great innovation that is been made and brought to the world thanks to watches, headphones And accessory trinkets.? /s

Soon Apple TV series and idiot shows will be ahead of the Mac as well.

As a professional that uses Apple products to develop what is arguably equipment of benefit to society, Apple under Cook is a 5 star clusterfrag.
The day he allows windows or linux to develop for iOS them the gig will be really over...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.