Apple Weather

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by TrenttonY, Feb 25, 2013.

1. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I'm very surprised Apple hasn't got rid of Yahoo's weather stats and use there own but if Apple does it it might be #WeatherGate

2. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Where would Apple get weather information? I'm just surprised the app still completely blows. They should just get rid of it if they aren't going to update the UI.

3. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

It merely displays basic weather information, although it hasn't been updated much since 2007.

Apple can easily purchase a weather-meteorological company to create their own weather app if they want, but I doubt it's part of their focus right now.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Why does it blow? It has current, 10day forecast, and hourly, very easily accessible.

If you want radar, get the weather channel app.

Apple gets their data from Yahoo, Yahoo gets their data from Weather Channel. I've always been confused why Apple doesn't just skip the middle man, *shrug*.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

Who knows for sure, but it may be a simply be cheaper to buy the data resold through Yahoo than to establish a new contract with the Weather Channel. I’m fine with Apple’s app being basic. That’s why we can install apps for those who need more detail.

7. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah I don't like it either. It's so 2007ish when you look at it from a design stand point. And companies like, weather.com, weatherbug, underground weather, etc have way better and more accurate weather data then yahoo.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

yahoo's data comes from the weather channel which is weather.com

-------
    why should apple invest time and money into developing apps?
    they provide the basics if you wan't more support the dev community and get something more.
    a lot of people are happy with the default app, i for one don't use it that often, and go with the weather channel, or i have a program that's only radar.

i also will ueseNOAA's page (weather.gov) in mobile safari since they have a nice 48 hour chart, can see when things are supposed to happen pretty easy.

9. maricc macrumors regular

It has 10 day forecast? Where? How? Maybe USA only? I'm from Canada.

10. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Nope. USA here and I don't have a 10 day.

11. maricc macrumors regular

The only long term is the one in the widget that is 6 day.

12. RicoRich196 macrumors member

Meh. 10 day forecasts aren't really that accurate anyway, you'll end up checking at least a couple days before, at least I do.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I'd like a 10-day forecast on the Stocks app...:p

14. maricc macrumors regular

What I'd like is info on the amount of snow and rain we'll be receiving... Like it's great that it's going to snow, but is it going to be less than 1cm or 40cm? Same goes with rain fall.