Apple website says coverage is out of warranty/expired, but it's not been a year.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by botsmack, Sep 16, 2009.

1. botsmack macrumors member

I'm not sure what's going on and need to know if it's something I should be concerned about or if it's just website glitches. Back in June I purchased a used MacBook Pro. The original owner bought the computer in Nov. 2008. I was looking to buy AppleCare today when I noticed that the Apple website says that my coverage is out of warranty.

I call up Apple and mention the problem and that I'd also like to buy AppleCare. She said she wasn't sure why it was showing out of warranty, because it was confirmed the machine was bought in Nov. 2008. She processed my AppleCare order and I figured that was it.

Tonight when I go to check my warranty status, the website still reports that my coverage is out of warranty. However, when I click on the More Information link it takes me to a page that says my computer is Registered and that Telephone Technical Support is active through Nov. 2011, but for Repairs and Service Coverage it says it's expired.

I don't understand.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. vant macrumors 65816

4. botsmack thread starter macrumors member

I don't know why it would have been voided. I just had it in for a repair about a month ago, because the keyboard backlight wasn't working. They had to replace the top cover and keyboard. I have the work order papers. It was all handled through the local Apple store.

It's getting too late and I'm getting sleepy, so I'll try to call Apple tomorrow and see if they can tell me more. When I ordered AppleCare today, I asked if I would get any paperwork verifying that I had, in fact, purchased AppleCare. She said that I would receive a letter in the mail in a few weeks.

Hopefully, I'll have some news to report tomorrow.

Update: Spoke with Apple this morning (9/17) and they confirmed that everything was showing correctly on their end for my AppleCare and its status. She said the website can sometimes take up to 48 hours before it will show the most up-to-date status. So, I guess I'll just give it until the weekend and check back then. It's not like I need service done on it at the moment. I just want to make sure my money spent towards AppleCare is actually giving me something that's not going to fail in the future if I do end up needing it.