Apple website VS Windows website

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Now here me....

A websites main function is to convey information and to make that information as easy to comprehend and to find as possible right?

Take a leaf from apples notebook. Their site is simple, easy to navigate thru, why even my mom can do it!

Now look over your shoulder and goto the microsoft site. All that Flash crap makes me wanna puke! I tried to find mediaplayer. A simple thing yet it was soooo confusing to find.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
While I think the Apple site is a little better - the MS site isn't as bad as you say. And if you want to find things, you just have to put it in the search. I think they're main problem is they're trying to show too much. Apple has the tabs across the top, so things are nicely sectioned off to avoid clutter.

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apple's website is one of the easiest websites to navigate around, that I've experienced. Most of the content can easily fit in a screenful. Microsoft suffers from information overload. I tried downloading for some Microsoft mouse drivers, and the way it's set up, it's very difficult to get to where you want to go with less than 4 mouse clicks. Apple's products and downloads are reachable within 3 mouse clicks. Searching for something you are looking for is such a cope-out.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I find it really hard to find downloads on Microsoft's website. I usually end up going to Download.com or PCWorld.com looking for Intellimouse software and PowerToys.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that the websites work very much like the computers and operating system. Apple also makes computers that are easier to use.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
I went to the windows website, and as soon as I clicked on one of those stupid people, my computer froze up and I wasnt able to do anything. I eventually had to restart (my PC) because of that crappy website.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
I've just realised I really dislike microsoft. Is there a club I can join? Bill Gates has ruined the internet with his stoooopid vision of how it should be.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
joshuawaire said:
Apple makes bad sites also. Check out www.mac.com. The new .Mac website is awful. I never can find anything!
At least it looks nice. I have never had a problem finding anything on the .mac page, but every single time I do a search on Apple's website I don't find what I'm looking for.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Sirus The Virus said:
At least it looks nice. I have never had a problem finding anything on the .mac page, but every single time I do a search on Apple's website I don't find what I'm looking for.
Well, maybe what you're looking for isn't there.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
The Microsoft website could reduce a lot of clutter by taking out plugs for its own stuff, IE MSN. Otherwise, it isn't a half bad site. I still prefer Apple's though... :rolleyes:

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Microsoft has also been polluting my TV with its various Advetisements for XP, they are terrible and would definatly not tempt me back to the world of windows. The same goes for there website i feel they could do much better.....

ShadOW :cool:

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
The Mactopia or MacBU (just typing that made me groan!) homepage is slightly better. To be fair the website isn't that bad but, like others have said, it does suffer from information overload and has a very "templatey" look/feel to it.

As corporate sites go I've always quite liked Macromedia, although it looks like they're going down the same road as MS and overloading their frontpage.

Apple.com really does stand head and shoulders above the rest. I particularly like how they manage to incorporate a more professional template into the overall theme of the site. It's amazing to think that the basic layout of Apple's site has remained unchanged for years, here's an apt screenshot from 1998 and an eerily familiar one from 2000. Good design is good design.

edwin.bossier

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2005
Belgium
joshuawaire said:
Apple makes bad sites also. Check out www.mac.com. The new .Mac website is awful. I never can find anything!
Oh, you are so wrong man, NEVER say ANYTHING bad from Apple, don't you know that rule by now!
If you read Apple just answer GOOD
If you read Microsoft just answer BAD
No need to think or doubt about that
This way you'll fit nicely in most of these Apple fora!

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
edwin.bossier said:
Oh, you are so wrong man, NEVER say ANYTHING bad from Apple, don't you know that rule by now!
If you read Apple just answer GOOD
If you read Microsoft just answer BAD
No need to think or doubt about that
This way you'll fit nicely in most of these Apple fora!
Troll on baby! :rolleyes: