Apple Whatsapp users?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by CosmoPilot, Jun 9, 2014.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I don't use this app, but many of my friends do. To be honest, I never understood it's usefulness. With Apple's new continuity feature allowing SMS messages to be sent and received from your iPads & Macs...are you considering ditching Whatsapp?

If so, think Facebook is concerned?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

WhatsApp it's Whatsapp.
    It can't be replaced.
    It's awesome sending videos and photos or sharing a location in a heartbeat with friends on other platforms.
    Now, with LTE and super-fast 5GHz WiFi everything is sent in a second.
    SMS is and will always be *****. WhatsApp & iMessage are the real deal.

3. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Will not be replaced. Many of my family members (from India) have Whatsapp. I visited last month and did not see one Apple user. It's plagued with phones that run Android and Windows. It's a very good cross-platform app and can't be replaced. iMessage is only good here in North America because tons of people own Apple devices or it's good if your family/friends have iPhone/iPads/iPods/Macs.

4. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Can definitely see the appeal for cross platform users from different countries.

5. itzman macrumors newbie

My whats app isn't working
    it keeps crashing when i open it in the new os

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Once people realize how Facebook is going to sell their personal chats is when Whatsapp will start its decline. Like skype has been rarely used after Microsoft bought them...

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've used it a couple times but I only have one friend who uses it. None of my other friends use WhatsApp. So, I've ditched it lol. I can always talk to that one friend on Facebook.:D

----------

It probably hasn't been updated for iOS 8 yet...

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I heard many good thing about whatsapp and I decided to download last month bI saw many of my friends on the list but now I don't use it much. I used FT and iMessage a lot. :apple:

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I agree SMS isn't great but I would never call it ****. iMessage is super awesome. But there's no way I'm going to a 3rd party app to send a message. It's just not going to happen. Why would I go to entirely diffrent app to send a message?

10. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Maybe cause Andrioid doesn't have iMessage? Maybe cause some of us don't want to pay for a texting plan?

11. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Whatsapp have been available since 2008-2009, i guess it just was never that popular on US.

Here in latin america whatsapp have been a god gift from the start :p and it really made easy for people to ditch blackberrys for iphones and android phones.

12. taedouni macrumors 65816

I quit using whatsapp way back in the day. I use Facebook messenger.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

The usefulness is in the fact many of your friends use it, simple as that really.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68000

any numbers to support your skype claim?

15. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Agree totally, so many people use Androids and WPs there, and with international SMS costing a fortune as well as SMS being slow, whatsapp has been a huge boon for me. Just 3 of my friends in India have an apple device :eek:

People not even use fb messenger much back there, don't know why though :confused:. It's only Snapchat which is now slowly starting to see a little mainstream adoption.

16. 617aircav Suspended

I use what's up a lot as I travel often. London, Nigeria, Dubai, Amsterdam this year so far. I don't want to pay for international text. Also a lot of countries don't really use sms because of the charges incurred. Whatsapp is a way around those charges.

----------

Whatsapp is not an alternative to imessage and vice versa. Totally different uses.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What Ive never understood. Is why Whatsapp?

Apple users doing iMessage. Android and business users doing GChat/Hangouts, which has a really good iOS app as well. I see no place for a third,

18. 617aircav Suspended

You would not. I would not as well. What's app is popular for international messages and also in countries that they pay for each message. Everywhere is not like the US.

19. GreyOS, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Why anything? Why assume those apps should be the popular ones and not WhatsApp? Hangouts is relatively new, too, and I think you need a Google+ account? You just need a phone number for WhatsApp.

-------------------

I'm on a plan with basically unlimited texts, but I use a mix of text, iMessage, WhatsApp, FB Messenger, Skype, Telegram depending on what's the most appropriate and what the other person uses the most, where they are (international?), what I'm sending (just text or media?). They all have advantages/disadvantages. FB Messenger chats can be picked up on any computer via the web, which is pretty handy. But it needs an FB account which some don't want. I don't see why it's such a big deal that there are various apps that do similar things... Ultimately it's not just your choice but also dependent on what your friends use.

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You are running a beta OS with an app not yet updated for that OS, yeah not a shock there's issues

21. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I use it to talk to my family in south america. Cant do that with SMS without costing me a fortune.

22. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I have it, I'm not a fan of it though. To be honest I only use it for 1 contact, originally they had an Android phone so it was handy for them as they were often in paces with no network signal but a Wifi signal, now they have an iPhone (temporarily) so we can use iMessage. They will probably go back to an Android phone so I'll keep it.

I'm not a big fan, mostly because I don't want two different apps to communicate via essentially the same thing.

In relation to the OP, I'm pretty sure Whatsapp won't be compatible with continuity.

23. nutmac macrumors 68040

I am very curious as to the number of users that pay $1/year subscription fee, as well as the retention rate.

iPhone users that paid $1 for the app are entitled to free subscription for life, but many have started using the app after WhatsApp switched to subscription model. While $1/year isn't a lot, there are many free cross platform alternatives. I think Facebook will eliminate the subscription fee altogether and introduce ad-based model to stay competitive.

24. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

I disagree, in that I think WhatsApp has been able to stay above the rest of the competition for the reason that its ad-free and it is the product, not the user.

But then again, Facebook may very well screw it up because it's Facebook so what do I know...

25. nutmac macrumors 68040

While I personally agree and prefer paid model, well, at least paid app model (paid subscription not as much unless there's some compelling values), I think majority will balk at paying even $1/year fee, especially in developing countries.

Hopefully, Facebook will keep ad-free version as an option, but I would be very surprised if they do not introduce ad-supported alternative as well.