Apple: Why use o2 in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pagemakers, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Apple, why oh why have you chosen to use o2 as your UK carrier?

Their coverage is awful and their 3G slow.

My HTC S620 can serve pages as fast on T-Mobile as my iPhone can on o2.

I am lucky if I ever see more than 2 bars for a continuous 10 minute period while travelling. I live in Manchester, the UK's second city. 3G coverage is at best, poor. Three, Orange, Vodafone or T-Mobile would have been far better choices.

I love my iPhone (apart from the battery life), but the whole experience is let down by a second rate carrier.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

With any single provider, you're going to have problems - my experience of O2 is diametrically opposed to your own: Where I live in the Midlands I get 5 bars on O2 3G whereas with Orange previously I used to lose connections all the time, and rarely had more than 2 bars.
    Personally, I've got nothing bad to say about O2 - they are much better than Orange or Vodafone in my experience.

3. JWages macrumors regular

Thats how it is in the US too. They went with the carrier that would best meet their demands.

4. xchaotic macrumors member

Consider yourself lucky, near the Penines, just 30 miles north of Manchester, where I live now, I don't get any coverage (3G or not) at work nor at home! I have to get close to windows or get outside just to make a call :D
    I'll be moving soon, however and at home I can use the wi-fi...
    So far, I tried T-mobile, Orange and 3, but it's not their fault, it's the terrain.

Still, I'd trade a nice countryside for the newest iPhone anyday.