Apple wifi phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by username:, Jan 29, 2014.

1. username: macrumors 6502a

Would anyone buy a phone for their house that just had wifi?

I picture a wireless handset with a powered base. The hand set charges when in the base much like existing non-mobile wireless phones. The phone has three functions - FaceTime audio, FaceTime video (maybe) and iMessages which show on the built-in display.

It would have a small e ink display for a clock or other reminders. It will sync with existing apple products to display reminders or calendar events using your Apple ID.

Due to the limited functionality it would be priced < $100.

The advantage this product has over only owning an iPhone is that it is always on, you don't have to stress about always having your mobile charged, people who don't want to spend on an iPhone can use iMessage and FaceTime, the ringer is loud enough to hear from another room, and if your smartphone battery is low you don't have to sit by a power outlet while it charges.

Is this going backwards? Or a convenient option for home use?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Going backwards.

No reason to buy anything so stripped down, especially when Apple already makes other products that do a majority of what you're describing.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I don't think this is a $100 product. It's basically an iPod Touch with added features and some that are already built in artificially removed. Plus you also need a VOIP phone service.

Once you have the hardware and OS in place, it doesn't cost Apple extra to include iTunes, Maps, etc. It costs them to remove them (in terms of additional development needed)

4. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. I would like a phone that just lived in my house though, and was somehow synced with my iPhone. Sometimes I just want to leave the iPhone in the car or in my bag but can't.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Well you could accomplish much of what you want with an iPod Touch and a VOIP subscription. But you'd also have a problem with having a different phone number.

6. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like my idea better :p

7. cynics macrumors G3

A solution to a problem that should never exist.

Maybe I'm not getting it but you want to use a dumb phone that's synced to your smart phone?

Use a Bluetooth headset. Aided by Siri it's just dumb enough to accomplish what your looking for. Then you can leave your phone in your bag.

8. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's so complicated about it? I think thy already exist actually.. But one manufactured by apple would be cool