Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Given the broken UX/UI mess that is the iPhone X, and Apple’s history of taking great ideas from the jailbreak community, I am completely confident that we will see a jailbreak that could come out as soon as the first major patch release after iPhone X ships. Predicting around December to January.

Just a thought.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Given the broken UX/UI mess that is the iPhone X, and Apple’s history of taking great ideas from the jailbreak community, I am completely confident that we will see a jailbreak that could come out as soon as the first major patch release after iPhone X ships. Predicting around December to January.

Just a thought.
hope its true. Apple will see what its capable of but its really stupid to me how they dont have quality programmers that can handle this with their buttload of cash. That or they dont allow them to do certain things.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Just a thought.
How does what you say equal Apple allowing a jailbreak (as in your thread title)?

I see Apple co-opting the features and functions of Activator and making that tweak irrelevant going forward. The fact that with the X you have to use certain methods to do things that Activator provides tells me that.

But I don't see that as Apple "allowing" a jailbreak. If anything they will fight it more and put out more "features" that are part of iOS to give you more "reasons" not to jailbreak.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
So Apple, in a fit of being distraught over the instant sellout of a product they spent years designing, will decide to leave a gaping hole in their first patch to allow jailbreakers to "do stuff" that they could later steal and use.

Okie dokie....

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that "suggestion".

Ten bucks says you think 9/11 was an inside job too, right???

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Just a thought.
Apple's engineers think what they've done with the iPhone X is already the right way to do it. They aren't going to make it intentionally easier to be proven wrong regarding something they've worked hard on for many months, and rarely does Apple ever reverse or radically alter decisions regarding UI design (except to add more functionality).

Not to mention the security ramifications of deliberately leaving an exploit open, which can be used maliciously and not just for a constructive jailbreak. Remember, Apple publicly refused to do this even when it was requested by the NSA.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Apple's engineers think what they've done with the iPhone X is already the right way to do it. They aren't going to make it intentionally easier to be proven wrong regarding something they've worked hard on for many months, and rarely does Apple ever reverse or radically alter decisions regarding UI design (except to add more functionality).

Not to mention the security ramifications of deliberately leaving an exploit open, which can be used maliciously and not just for a constructive jailbreak. Remember, Apple publicly refused to do this even when it was requested by the NSA.

But just think: If they DID leave a gaping hole, intentionally, exposing millions of their users to all kinds of potential issues, they might be able to steal some cool ideas regarding customizing the UI and installing unsigned applications (potentially costing them millions in revenue from the App Store). Maybe, after the lawsuits and public backlash subside, they could regain publics trust by issuing a statement promising (REALLY promising!) that they won't do it again.

So after careful consideration I've reconsidered my feelings: WORTH IT!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But just think: If they DID leave a gaping hole, intentionally, exposing millions of their users to all kinds of potential issues, they might be able to steal some cool ideas regarding customizing the UI and installing unsigned applications (potentially costing them millions in revenue from the App Store). Maybe, after the lawsuits and public backlash subside, they could regain publics trust by issuing a statement promising (REALLY promising!) that they won't do it again.

So after careful consideration I've reconsidered my feelings: WORTH IT!
That's nuts!!!

Apple already steals jailbreak tweaks, applies it's stupid twist to it, calls it a feature and forces it on you even if you don't want it.

Wireless charging through iTunes? Tweak first.

Dev working on a jailbreak? Hire him and make him sign a contract that says no more JB work.

Or you honestly believe Nightmode is equal to f.lux? This new finger gesture thing is equal to Activator? Messages equal to BiteSMS?

Apple can get whatever they want any time they want, dumb it down and pass it off any time. They don't need to ruin their reputation to do it.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Just a thought.

All those points you raised have zero relevance whether there's a JB coming.

There's a lot wrong with the ipX and no amount of tweaks is going to fix them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am hoping for a jailbreak for sure. The hardware for the X looks great but Apple software design has not been great lately.
Apple software design has not been great since iOS 6.

I've disliked every firmware release since the unicorns and their preschool primary colors showed up.

Reactions: Applejuiced

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
Do u really think Apple will be willing to be held at knifepoint

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Just a thought.

No.

Jailbreaks are a security problem. They won’t voluntarily allow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.