Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a new podcasts subscription feature that's coming to the Podcasts app. Podcast subscriptions will let podcast publishers sell subscriptions to an individual show or a group of shows, with pricing starting at 49 cents per month.

Apple-Podcasts-iOS-14-5.jpg

Publishers will be able to set their own pricing, but according to Recode, Apple plans to take a cut. Apple will collect 30 percent of subscription revenue that creators generate in their first year on the platform, and after that, Apple will collect 15 percent. This is the same pricing setup that Apple uses for other subscription options.

Apple does not plan to require podcast creators to create content exclusively for Apple, but it is encouraging them to distinguish between content available from Apple Podcasts and content on other platforms, such as ad-free shows, shows with extra content, or early or exclusive access to new content. Those who want to participate will need to sign up for the Apple Podcasters Program, which is priced at $19.99 per year.

Podcast creators will be able to start offering subscriptions as of next month, with subscriptions available to listeners in more than 170 countries and regions. Up to six family members can share a subscription.

Apple has a number of partners on board ready to create premium podcast content, including Tenderfoot TV, Pushkin Industries, Radiotopia from PRX, and QCODE, NPR, the Los Angeles Times, The Athletic, Sony Music Entertainment, and more.

Article Link: Apple Will Keep 15 to 30% Cut of Podcast Subscriptions

sublunar

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
I will boycott or subvert any podcasts that require a subscription... if I want to give to them I’ll give to them directly
A lot of podcast producers who require a paid subscription seem to use Patreon from what I have heard, others will ask for other payment schemes who also take their cut.

Good luck to you if you can find a way to pay a podcaster for paid-for content - but along the way someone will be taking a cut to make that payment happen.

And people trust Apple with payment details and privacy. This is part of their Epic court argument - but that's something for another day.

Comment

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Seems fair to me.

Can kind of compare it with streaming on Twitch where you can subscribe to a streamer to show you like them / for extra perks. Twitch takes a 50% cut.

Currently podcasters mostly use Patreon which also takes a cut.

Comment

Wildkraut

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Podcast going that route will die.
Podcasts paid by ads are fine, just like it currently is.

Apple platform is becoming less and less appealing with every device and os release.
They are trying to make almost everything to money, and set their feet into stuff by doing nothing.
Amazing blood suckers!

Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
This definitely feels like a Patreon competitor. I'll probably subscribe if some of the people I support on Patreon offer this.

Reactions: thecrevis1
Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009

Apple platform is becoming less and less appealing with every device and os release.
They are trying to make almost everything to money, and set their feet into stuff by doing nothing.
Amazing blood suckers!
You're aware that many podcasters receive support through Patreon and offer exclusive and ad-free content? This is the same thing.

Reactions: kc9hzn
Comment

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Apple is going after all the subscription platforms: Steaming, Exercise, Patreon (podcast perks), Cloud, Gaming, News etc. One more thing to bundle with Apple One and one more reason why the new comers and little guys can't compete.

Comment

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man

Amazing blood suckers!

Nothing in life is free.

Podcast distribution costs someone, there is no free lunch here. Advertising the podcast costs money, there is no free lunch here.

I use Pocket Casts but the discovery for it mostly features whodunnit or muder related podcasts anymore, I welcome a better selection of curated content if it works well for most.

Apple's ecosystem gets better and better for me each year.

Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
I say that most podcast listeners don't pay for podcasts and also wouldn't pay.
The main income for podcasts will remain ads.

Btw. Patreon is 5-12%
I get ad-free podcasts through the people I support on Patreon. This is an option. Not a requirement.

The people I support wouldn't offer an ad-free version if it wasn't more lucrative than what they make from ads. If you want the free ad-supported version, you can have it.

Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Exactly!

Or I'll listen to ads... which has worked for the last 15 years.

I happily pay some of my podcasters by Patreon. I want them to survive and keep doing what they do. If Apples share is less than what Patreon takes I will switch to Apple.

Comment

Wildkraut

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I get ad-free podcasts through the people I support on Patreon. This is an option. Not a requirement.

If you want the free ad-supported version, you can have it.
Then better choose a payment method that 100% goes to the creator, that way you support them even more.
Apple would get 15%-30% for doing nothing other than playing the gatekeeper again.

Reactions: andresro14
Comment

LawJolla

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
Everyone is getting needlessly worked up. This is clearly an arrow at Pateron for podcasters to move their premium content "in house." It could work nicely.

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I happily pay some of my podcasters by Patreon. I want them to survive and keep doing what they do. If Apples share is less than what Patreon takes I will switch to Apple.

Right.

But do they also have a version with ads to help them pay the bills?

Or do they only run on Patreon?

All I was saying is... we've had podcasts for a looong time. Most are ad-driven. Those were able to survive all that time.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.