Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in iOS 16 added a new Rapid Security Response feature that's meant to make it quicker and easier for the company to deploy security improvements to iPhone users without a full iOS update. By default, Rapid Security Responses are installed automatically, but Apple has implemented a way to remove them.

automatic-security-updates-ios-16.jpg

In an updated support document shared today, Apple says that you can remove a Rapid Security Response from your device by going to Settings > General > About, tapping the iOS version, and then tapping Remove Security Update.

Apple says you can then reinstall the Rapid Security Response at a later date, or wait for it to be installed permanently as part of a standard software update. It is not clear why a Rapid Security Response would need to be removed, but it's nice that users will have the option.

There is also a toggle for turning off automatic installation of Rapid Security Responses, which then allows them to be downloaded manually.

Article Link: Apple Will Let You Remove Rapid Security Response Updates in iOS 16

CarAnalogy

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2021
One step closer to Windows? The only reason to remove updates there is when they cause terrible unforeseen issues. Which has happened a LOT the last couple years.

Hopefully that doesn’t start becoming the case here.

Of course Microsoft a few years ago went in the opposite direction, removing the ability to remove individual updates and bundling everything into one giant blob instead.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2021
I'm glad I have that option. Now bring back the option to change my home screen wallpaper without wanting to rip my hair out.

I’m guessing you don’t like jiggle mode either.

It took me a minute to understand this too. Basically they made the home screen an Apple Watch.

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
I’m guessing you don’t like jiggle mode either.

It took me a minute to understand this too. Basically they made the home screen an Apple Watch.
My home screen don’t jiggle jiggle, it folds… what am I? 😜

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
This is more of a problem with desktop systems than with phones, but it is shocking how many times software updates break our banking software. They tell you to always install the latest version, yet their software won't work unless you are running an OS that is half a year old or more.

Forced updates sound like bricking the entire company and preventing it from depositing any money at all.

ss2cire

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
It is not clear why a Rapid Security Response would need to be removed, but it's nice that users will have the option.

A person or company would want to remove said updates if they cause show-stopping issues. Ideally that never happens but with the option to uninstall it makes it easier to rollback updates when it does cause issues.

NightFox

macrumors 68030
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
So this is it. This is how they're going install their CSAM spyware.
If they wanted to install CSAM surreptitiously, why would they need to do all this? Why would Apple go to obscure lengths to sneak it though the front door, when they control the back door?

Kind of reminds me of the '80s film Whoops Apocalypse where the SAS are raiding a waxworks museum and they shoot-up the box office first to get admission tickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyanite and mhnd

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
This is more of a problem with desktop systems than with phones, but it is shocking how many times software updates break our banking software. They tell you to always install the latest version, yet their software won't work unless you are running an OS that is half a year old or more.

Forced updates sound like bricking the entire company and preventing it from depositing any money at all.
Yay. Another Bono download forced update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.