Apple will remove home button on next iPad and iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by celo48, Jan 13, 2011.

1. celo48 macrumors 6502a

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Already a thread here.

I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the button, you need some sort of physical button in case there is a software problem.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Would still have the on/off and volume buttons if a multi-button combo was required.

Could make taking a screenshot rather tricky, though. :)

4. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ooops. Mods you can delete this thread.

5. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I don't think it is necessary, it would be nice to see what Apple does to remove the home button.

A smaller iPhone would look great and Apple can spend an entire year saying how "Magical" the new iPhone looks, its smaller, thiner and lighter than bla bla bla and fits perfectly on your pocket.

6. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I don't see this happening until the the iPad 3 at least.

The iPad 2 hardware and specs would be finalised by now so I can't see them leaving it until now to test the gestures.
    Also, anyone that doesn't have full use of all 5 fingers wouldn't be able to use it.
    And how would you do a hard reset? If your ipad crashed then you'd have no way of resetting it. Oh yeh, and don't forget screenshots.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Home button disappear, it'd be great to use just the touch screen to move around the iPad. I just don't think it'll happen.
    Also, REALLY don't want to see it disappear from my iPhone.

7. CubusX macrumors 6502

Or they could...

The Home Button seems to be the piece that is the most prone to breakage. The double tap feature for app switching is a pain, mine takes at least 2 trys in order for it to work correctly.

Apple should allow multiple gestures (even if they keep the home button). Cydia has an activator program that allows this feature, and it is amazing to not have to use the home button.

8. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I made this, just for fun

Attached Files:

9. ArchXyrho macrumors member

10. d Fusion b macrumors member

d Fusion b

I hope it goes for at least the iPad, now that that are gesture to control the multi tasking, and return to home screen, it's useless.

11. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

The last thing that we need is a smaller iphone. Currently, the retina display is great but the screen is too small.

12. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Ain't gonna happen!
    The ADA will be all over this!

13. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Great. No buttons.

If it's gonna be all swipe and pinch control, what's gonna happen if I decide to get an iPad and I want to play "Fruit Ninja?"

I'll cut a mango and go straight to the home screen is what.

No way. Apple, don't do this. I might get an iPad in a few years, but you're really hurting the chances.

There are so many things that could go wrong with this!

Why don't they just make the home button a glowing symbol that you touch?!

14. cgarch macrumors newbie

I would imagine that if you don't have all 5 fingers, this might be a problem as well. I suspect that for disabled folks this might be a non-starter.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Wait, I cut a mango with a one-finger swipe, whereas home-screen gesture requires 4-5-finger pinch. :confused:

So there should be no problem slicing away mangos, right? :)

16. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I want the Home Button to stay. We need that one button. Without it, screenshots, hard resets, and easily picking it up and turning it on would be harder.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But does it really have to be cut into a hole in the glass on the front of the device?

If It's used less frequently due to touch commands, then could it be moved to the side?

18. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

19. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I think these rumors are coming out of CES. One of the big features of honeycomb is that it is designed to be button-less. Many of the new Android tablets (and the RIM Playbook) have no buttons on the front, just volume and power (some of them have a hidden power button!).

So, whether or not Apple does this, the reason people are talking about it (I think) is because it's become such a staple of many of the tablets at CES. So you couple that, with the fact that Apple has included the same software ability as Android, 2+2=4.

I don't know that it will happen though. The home button isn't particularly ugly, it's not obtrusive, doesn't get in your way. If you chose to use gestures alone, you won't really feel encumbered by the still-existing home button.

However, Apple does love to keep their devices "clean". A macbook is the only notebook your gonna find that doesn't have tons of blinking lights, and a multitude of "shortcut buttons", it's sleek, a keyboard and a power button! The charging LED is on the magsafe connector. And for as long as I can remember the power button on the majority of Macintosh computers are on the keyboard, they are on the device too, but usually on the back of the device, only intended to be used should the system crash (I had a performa once with a power button in the back that took way too much effort to push, lol, but the keyboard turns her on and off!). That's changed, because of bluetooth keyboards, but still, it's Apples style.

-John

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It would obviously make economic manufacturing sense to not have to have a hole in the front sheet of glass and also to have to assemble it with a physical popper button fitting through this hole.

It would make the device visually cleaner and also allow other things to be done with the design in the future without having to take this hole and circuitry behind the hole into consideration.

Technically it's a no brainer to get rid of it. It's if they think they can get rid of it ergonomically & without upsetting users.

21. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

No, the screen would have the same size, the only part that will be reduced is what now is on the upper part of the screen and where the home button is located, since shrinking screen size has other consequences such as available app no longer would work with different screen size (like with the iPad, they needed to redesign the UI of all apps to fit the new screen).

So the only thing that will change is less wasted space.