Apple will replace 2012 Retina Batteries for free...if you wait until November

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theydonboi, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Theydonboi macrumors member

An epilogue of sorts to https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/24/mid-2012-macbook-pro-top-case-battery-constraint/

[I'm based in the UK, so so not sure if this is worldwide]

Went to a Genius Bar appointment yesterday with the purpose of replacing my 2012 MBP battery, which has been saying "Replace Soon" for the best part of six months. Mindful of the fact that I'd missed the boat on the "deal" above, I was expecting to pay around £200 and be without my MBP for several days.

The guy I spoke to quoted me £168 and clarified what we already know. Parts are constrained for this machine. However, he said there was good news.

Apple will replace the battery for free IF I'm prepared to wait until November 15th. I will then need to make another appointment, they'll check that I've already reported this and they'll "reward" me for my patience and replace the battery.

I'm guessing November the 15th is the date when supplies free up.

SO, to recap.

If your 2012 MBP battery is showing battery warnings...AND you're prepared to wait until November if you can get it replaced for free :

Book an appointment to get a genius to check it NOW. They'll advise you of the supplies problem and offer you this deal if you don't mind waiting. You'll then need to book another Genius appointment in November.

It's a bit of hassle, but the reward is a free replacement of the battery and a decent saving. Aside from the battery warnings, my MBP runs like a charm so I'm happy to wait.

NB. I have no proof of the November thing. Apple have not summarised what was said in the appointment in an email. And the genius told me that they would not email me in November to remind me of this offer.

2. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

That's great to know, thanks for sharing! I missed out on getting a free replacement but I have a hunch the the replacement programme might reappear and thus will hold off on bringing my Macbook in for battery replacement.

Getting a new one would be amazing as I can't justify buying a new 15' MPB. They are £500 more expensive than when I bought my 15' MBPr in late 2012.

3. EB-V10 macrumors newbie

EB-V10

You beat me to it!

Went in a couple weeks ago with a rMBP (I bought a few and capitalised on the swap scheme but missed the boat with a couple) and they replaced the battery within a week, for free as it was within the 5 years since purchase. All went smoothly. They replaced the logic board and screen while they were at it.

Went in today with another one and got the same response as Theydonboi. "Wait and we'll replace it for free".

It's a good deal. But I'm tempted to test the water and see what will happen if I demand a replacement now. Why would they say "wait, give us until November and we'll replace for free".

4. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

In November they will stare blankly at you and state they would never do something like that, meanwhile the machine has been obsoleted and no parts will be available!

Whatever you guys do, I'd make sure it's in writing.

5. Macalicious2011, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017

Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Did you get a 2012 spec screen or a newer one with better colour reproduction etc?

Let us know how it goes with demanding a battery replacement now.

6. EB-V10 macrumors newbie

EB-V10

Didn't know that was a thing?

7. Macalicious2011, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Today I visited an Apple Store in London and requested a battery replacement for my mid-2012 MBPr. I was told the top case is a "constrained part" which in plain English means that it's out of stock. The store had no top cases and neither does HQ, so my only option is to wait until November 15th for the part to become available.

Life could be worse though. A guy at the genius bar came in for a MacBook Air battery but left dissapointed. The Genius told him that because the laptop is 5-6 years old, Apple no longer makes spare parts for it and he would have to request repair from third party providers.

The mid-2012 MacBook Pro is 5 years old now so the next few months could be the last opportunity to buy battery replacement at Apple.

8. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

You could not be more right! I went through this in October and when I brought it back yesterday the genius clearly wasn’t interested in whatever notes/promises were made a month before. The part isn’t in so we’ll see what happens in the next go-round.

9. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

When I went in in October I left with a paper stating that I am entitled to a free battery replacement in November.

10. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

You’re my hero

11. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Keep us updated!

12. OcramSagev macrumors member

13. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

Dunno. They took care of me with a brand new (not refurb) 15” MBP but that was 10 weeks ago.

14. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Even if they don't, paying for a battery upgrade is worth it. I got a free upgrade and no longer have battery anxiety. Anytime I grab the computer I can use it for hours without having to charge it. The new topcase adds to the "new laptop" feeling.

15. afly, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

afly macrumors newbie

They did for my 2013 this week

Battery died with no warning, trackpad all over the place. Diagnosed straight away as top case replacement. Part and repair £405, free if I was prepared to wait 4-6 weeks for part delivery (can't remember what alternative was but it wasn't a replacement)

Got call 3 days later to say part had arrived. Mac repaired 3 days after that. It seems a bit like a quasi-recall/manufacturing fault tbh. They've fused a disposable item with vital parts of the machine

I also had my 2012 MBA there and was warned that after EOL + 5 years apple will no longer touch your kit, so 2012's may be out of the running from June this year