Apple Will Reportedly Screen Original Content for Top Awards Like Oscars and Emmys

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:07 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of its widely expected video service unveil on March 25, Apple is hiring strategists to arrange screenings and other publicity events for Hollywood insiders and others who vote on which movies and TV shows win prestigious awards like Oscars and Emmys, according to Bloomberg's Anousha Sakoui and Mark Gurman.

[​IMG]

From the report:
    Apple already has dozens of original TV shows and movies lined up for the service, including an unnamed morning show drama starring Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell.

Apple would be following in the footsteps of other streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, which have all had original content nominated for awards like Oscars and Emmys in the past few years. As the report notes, winning awards could attract higher-profile directors and actors to Apple.

The report also claims that Apple will charge for some content, while other video will be free for Apple device users, backing up a CNBC report.

Article Link: Apple Will Reportedly Screen Original Content for Top Awards Like Oscars and Emmys

2. BillyBobBongo, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:12 AM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:18 AM

BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Most likely it will all be USA only, given the licensing on such things.

Edit: read this as screening the ceremony themselves. Upon reflection I guess you actually mean that Apple will provide access to digital versions of a screener. Guess it’s more secure than trusting A-Listers with a digital copy, these things always find a way to leak out.

3. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Really lame if it’s US only.
    /European citizen

4. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

5. btimlake macrumors newbie

I've wondered about this, and obviously we'll know soon enough, but for original productions, since Apple is producing the content, I imagine they will be able to guide licensing if not outright dictate it. Netflix original content, for example, is available internationally as soon as it is in the US (actual original productions, not the confusingly branded "Netflix Original"s that are actually produced by other outlets).

6. BGPL macrumors member

BGPL

Don't spread yourselves too thin there, Apple, in the interest of generating more revenue.

7. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

They stopped being a tech company when they introduced the iPod. And it was dead when they dropped Computer from their name. This was writing on the wall

8. rockarollr macrumors regular

rockarollr

So, basically, Tim Cook is pivoting Apple, Inc. to become a content and services company instead of focusing mostly on hardware like Steve Jobs did before him? Gee... can anyone take a guess as to why? (Other than the obvious answer - more money/higher profit margin)

Does “Can’t innovate anymore, my ass” ring a bell?

9. scottrngr macrumors member

I wish Apple would make TV shows. Said no one ever.

10. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Right, but the hardware industry has slowed. Computers aren’t advancing like they used to. Going from PPC or a Pentium 4 to a dual core processor and then the Core i series was a big leap in performance. Even Apple’s own A series chips aren’t making HUGE leaps forward in speed/improvements.

I think hardware has hit a wall. It will keep getting more refined and better, but not in the leaps and bounds we use to see from Apple. Case in point, the iPhone X to iPhone Xs.

12. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

We'll see how this turns out, but I really don't want Apple being a content owner / producer. Content owner's past behavior / interests are often diametrically opposed to whats in the best interests of Apple's tech customers.

13. Classie macrumors member

Well of course! There will be bad shows/movies and there will be great ones. I’m looking forward to the later

14. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

Simple: figure it out. I probably could. But Apple cares ONLY about money. So they’re gonna take engineers and have them focus on entertainment??? Makes no sense. They need to make a GREAT Mac with superb performance and specs at a LOW price. 16 GB RAM at least. Powerful GPU, HUGE battery. That’s innovation.

15. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    As a global citizen I could care less...

Q-6

16. robjulo macrumors 65816

No thanks. I wouldn't want Netflix and some of the really good edgy shows, sanitized by Apple.

17. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

Please Tim - content is a fickle mistress. Especially as the ability to make content gets cheaper and cheaper. And people are less and less willing to pay for it.

Hardware is something that people must have, have to pay for and is the only reason Apple is in existence at all.

18. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

They soooo bad want that oscar what an incredible marketing opportunity that would be for tim to stroll across the stage

19. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

"The award shows for pimps and hoes
    And every other hypocrite that flaunt their clothes"

-- KRS ONE

20. Marzzz macrumors regular

Oscars and Emmys- who really gives a ****?

21. Seanm87 macrumors regular

Smart move. Services are the future and the only thing that will keep them profitable long term. They’re too reliant on the iPhone. It’s not sustainable.

22. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

LOL, I think they’re called lobbyists.

23. JTBing macrumors regular

I believes motion pictures qualify as technology, no?

24. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Such a big mistake. This entire initiative isn't Apple's specialty and will go down as a massive flop like Ping.

Cook is transforming Apple into a big lazy fish, capable of floating on the top and just eating all the smaller ones around it with very little effort but also too slow to compete with sharks.

25. slide_to_unlock macrumors member

slide_to_unlock

Apple is so greedy now that I would not be surprised if they open up clothing line or restaurant.