Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been granted a patent today for an invention that enables a touchpad or touch surface to simulate textures like cool metal and hot cement.

The patent, originally filed in 2013 and called "Touch Surface for Simulating Materials" (via Patently Apple), appears in a series of 62 others published today by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and includes details on the mechanisms that would allow the touchpad to vibrate and change temperature.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-19-at-11.51.20.jpg

An "actuator" would allow at least a part of the surface to vibrate and simulate the tactile sensation of the texture, with rougher surfaces simulated by stronger vibrations. By varying the vibrations over time in response to a finger moving over the touch surface, the control actuator would even be able to simulate irregular textures such as wood grain.

In combination with the actuator, a temperature control device could control the heat or coolness of the glass touch surface relative to the temperature of the detected contact. In one example, a layer of diamond material in the touch surface provides extremely high thermal conductivity, exceptional wear resistance and optical transparency.

As with any filed patent, the technology is unlikely to appear in any product soon, if at all. But it does offer some insight into Apple's ideas about how it might innovate upon haptic technology in its devices with simulated touch.

Last-minute rumors prior to the release of the third-generation iPad in 2012 suggested that the device could include haptic technology that would give on-screen objects texture, but the feature never appeared.

Article Link: Apple Wins Patent for Texture and Temperature Simulating Touch Surface

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I think this will be great for individuals who may be visually impaired, allowing a greater sensory experience while using their device. This is the kind of Apple I'm waiting to see again. New progressive technology.

Yes! Bring on new meaningful device upgrades!

9HnD5KA.png

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think this will be great for individuals who may be visually impaired, allowing a greater sensory experience while using their device. This is the kind of Apple I'm waiting to see again. New progressive technology.

I agree. In principle, this could simulate braille.

That would be pretty bad-ass, and I think Apple would be the company to do it.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013

9HnD5KA.png

More likely a group of Apple engineers shooting the breeze and then deciding to patent it just in case someone else shoots the same breeze before them. The technological equivalent of a c*** block so to speak.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
While initially this sounds silly, I could see some interesting feedback that could be built into the UI. Someone already mentioned Braille. Maybe as I'm moving the cursor around, when the cursor slams into the edge of the screen I feel the edge with my finger. Or as it hovers over buttons I feel the button as a different texture than the rest of the window.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
More likely a group of Apple engineers shooting the breeze and then deciding to patent it just in case someone else shoots the same breeze before them. The technological equivalent of a c*** block so to speak.
I'm not entirely versed in patent law, but if someone else came along with a different method to achieve texture and temperature, wouldn't that still be patentable because it would be a different implementation?
[doublepost=1461068042][/doublepost]
I just love touching hot cement.

?
Who doesn't.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My old Sandy Bridge MBP had no trouble replicating "hot glass" texture on the trackpad—and that was way back in 2011! It was truly revolutionary.

In all seriousness though, imagine something like this combined with 3D Touch on the iPad. It could simulate keyboard key ridges (including home row positioning bumps) and forceful taps (harder than resting fingers on the keys) could register input so you don't have hover hands.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I agree. In principle, this could simulate braille.

That would be pretty bad-ass, and I think Apple would be the company to do it.

While that would be a great use of it, the most obvious use is outlawed because of Apple political correctness.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
This is the missing piece for the automotive industry. Tesla has a 17" touch surface integrated in model S, but you
still have to look down to see what you're doing. whereas in the normal cars after 1-2 weeks your fingers will
learn to recognise the buttons w/o pressing them.
don't know how subtle this texture would be though... for sensing buttons (read: ui elements that you can press) you'd need 0.3-0.5mm protrusion...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.