Apple wiped all my purchases. Lost all apps & media.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drcreek, Mar 2, 2013.

1. drcreek macrumors member

I'm hoping somebody here might have had a similar issue and be able to help me.

Here is the long an painful story.

Saturday at about 10am Central European Time I called Apple to help me with a billing problem. My card wasn't being accepted.

So the AppleCare rep told me it was because I was using a Swedish credit card. I have recently moved from the UK to Sweden. So this made sense. She said I needed to switch my account to be a Swedish one and it would be OK. So I asked. If I do this. Will I still be able to download my apps and media from the purchased tab, the same as I always have. She said yes. So I went ahead and did it. As soon as it happened. I checked the Purchased tab. Nothing there. Nothing in the App Store. iTunes or the Mac App Store. All media gone.

I have autism and dyslexia, so I record all my support calls incase I need to review them later or if I forget something I was told.

Here is the part of the call where it all goes wrong... http://ge.tt/3e0dAvZ/v/0

I asked her how so get my stuff back. But she didn't know. Neither did her supervisor. Or the other half a dozen various Apple support agents I asked from around the world. UK, Sweden and even called the US support line. I was on the phone for newly 10 hours trying to get my stuff back. I still don't have a full answer. I might never get it back. I had 1000's of apps. And a reasonable collection of other iTunes media like videos and iBooks stuff. All gone. I need some of those apps to help me with everyday life, like translating words I don't understand or helping me remember things and help with with things like organising myself. and with the recent 6.1 software updates I don't have them all currently installed. I've been relying on iTunes in the Cloud to them but now they've all gone.

Apple won't give any solutions that don't involve repurchasing the apps or just accepting to never have some of them.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Did you get it fixed?

Any advice would be very help full..

Please forgive any spelling mistakes or typos, I had to use Dictation for most of this so I sometimes mess it up.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had the same issue. I originally had an AU account before iTunes launched in NZ. After the NZ launch, I moved my account to NZ. At the time there was no Purchases section available but a little while later, Apple launched the "iTunes Plus" upgrade service where you could redownload your old 128 kb/s DRM files in 256 kb/s non-DRM format. I could only see NZ purchases in there and no AU ones.

I ended up moving the account back to AU, downloading the iTunes Plus stuff, then changed it back to NZ again. Of course, I made backups of everything!

This was back in maybe 2007/08. I can't say whether moving your account back to UK will still work or not. You can have two accounts logged in at once (UK and SE) so if moving the first account back to UK works then I'd suggest that you set up a new one for SE. Of course, Apple shouldn't have told you that you would retain all your purchases!

3. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

I can't switch back to the UK without an address and payment method.

Also I can't have two accounts on the same device. It breaks so many things. iCloud backup and restore, automatic downloads amd the one account every 90 days limit. I'm guessing it breaks most icloud things. Like documents in the cloud, but To be honest. I could just back up the films and music I'd be happy to let go of those then. But it's the Apps I need access to. I have a about 6 iOS devices to manage. It isn't practicle swap all the time. Not with all the complications it brings.

One AppleCare rep suggested I buy an Apple Gift voucher every time I want to get an old app. So minimum of £10 every time I need an old app installing. Rediclous.

4. thehustleman, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

thehustleman macrumors 65816

Wow, I was about to say something sarcastic (not about you of course) but my conscience got the better of me and it would be dead wrong so I sincerely hope that you can get it handled and your purchases returned.

Best of luck

Maybe this can help
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2443094?start=15&tstart=0

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Couldn't you switch back to the UK account with your old address and an Apple gift card? I don't know if the gift cards are region specific so that may not work but, do you have anyone in the UK that can purchase one and mail it to you? The address doesn't matter since Apple isn't going to be mailing you anything or come knocking on the door. So the only issue is payment. Also is Paypal an option for you? I'm in the US so I apologize but I don't know how some of these services work outside the US.

Lastly, if you have payment verification via your old credit card statements I would make copies and keep pushing Apple support higher and higher until someone can make the decision or take the necessary action to help you. I've been around businesses of various sizes for the better part of 30 years and there is always someone somewhere that can help. You just have to keep at it and don't give up.

Good luck!!

6. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

I can't switch back with a voucher every time I want to get or update my apps?

Plus it's not my address anymore. I don't want to break any rules in case it damages any change of getting it fixed. I'm treading carefully.

Also if I switch. How do I buy new ones?

7. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

I can't update apps either.

I just keep getting errors like these.

Attached Files:

8. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

It won't let me update. Just swaps me between stores.

Attached Files:

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yes, we've gathered that the two stores are incompatible.

What you need to do:

- Move your old account back to the UK with your UK address and a gift card.
    - Use this Apple ID to update old apps, and download your old stuff.
    - Create a new Apple ID for use with the sweedish store.

I'm sorry, but if you want to be able different country's stores - you're going to need two Apple IDs. Where you got this notion that you need to add £10 every time you update I do not know.

10. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

If an old app won't update. I need to go back to the old store. I can't switch without payment. Gift card is the only payment so I would need a £10 card every time I switch? No?

I can't have two accounts on one device. There is a 90 day limit on switching since iTunes in the Cloud was introduced.

I don't want to use both at the same time. I just want to move to the Swedish store. But keep my old things. I don't think that is an unreasonable request?

When I moved. All my DVDs as CDs still work. And when I buy a new CD here. That works? Am I being unreasonable in wanting to keep my stuff and wanting to buy more?

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

All your stuff, Apps, Music and whatever is not lost, you have to switch to the UK store, it should be all there.
    I made a US account, without Credit Card, if I switch to that store all the stuff which I downloaded from that US store is there but not the ones from my original store which is in Holland, I currently live in Indonesia and use both of them, in the Dutch store I have a Credit Card connected, although I never purchase anything, just free stuff, and the US I do not have a credit card attached, it just works but you have to switch stores.

Oh, and about legality, the stuff is yours, even though your address is not valid in the UK you still own that stuff.

In iTunes, logout of the Swedish store, go to the UK store in the main Menu, it's in the bottom and then login, your stuff IS there.

12. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

Someone from Apple told me this too. But as soon as I click on Purchased it asks me for my password, then it says. "Only Valid for Swedish Store" and kicks me back to the Swedish store.

Doesn't give me access.

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Did you make the same account ID in the Swedish store, if so then that might be the problem.
    I have two ID's, one in NL, one in US with different emails.

Edit: Btw, I don't even think you can make two accounts with the same email.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It might not be unreasonable, but it's not possible. We've given you the workarounds - not sure what else you want us to do.

There is no magical solution that's going to get what you want. You need to stick with one store, or use multiple Apple IDs. Does it really matter if you have a UK account instead of a Sweedish one?

15. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

I didn't make a new one.

The AppleCare staff changed it from a UK account into a Swedish one.

I'm aware I could get than back by changing it back to UK. But this requires payment and would cost me money.

Apple caused the problem. I don't think it should cost me anything to fix it?

If this was my own dumb fault then I would bite the bullet and accept the responsibility. I'm only asking Apple to own up to their mistakes and help me out. But I've been just pushed around in circles of canned responses and unhelpful staff making me feel stupid for even asking for help.

I just want my stuff back the way it was and the ability to buy more stuff in the future.

16. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Then Apple messed up and they should take steps to make it work again, if you don't get any further than this I would recommend you to write to Tim directly, this is a ******* up by Apple, they should solve this.

17. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

Not at all. But I have no UK based payment method and the UK store doesn't accept Swedish cards. I need to be in the Swedish store for that.

I just wanted this out there to see if anybody had the same problem. For help and advice.

----------

Thanks for the help. It wouldn't hurt I suppose.

18. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I asked her how so get my stuff back. But she didn't know. Neither did her supervisor. Or the other half a dozen various Apple support agents I asked from around the world. UK, Sweden and even called the US support line. I was on the phone for newly 10 hours trying to get my stuff back. I still don't have a full answer. I might never get it back. I had 1000's of apps. And a reasonable collection of other iTunes media like videos and iBooks stuff. All gone."

This is why I don't trust, never have trusted, never will trust, putting (or keeping) ANYTHING I have "in the cloud", so to speak.

Make a wrong move, and it can be gone. Or make no move "on your own", and it can disappear on you.

Just as what happened to this unfortunate fellow.

If it's not "in my possession", on my computer or on a backup drive, "it ain't mine".

To the original poster:
    DON'T "trust the iCloud" any longer. You see what has happpened. Keep the apps and files you need STORED LOCALLY -- NOT in "the cloud".

Also -
    If Apple won't help you get your stuff back -- you're now in Sweden, where resides one notorius "pirate server" where you _may_ find some of the things you had previously PURCHASED LEGALLY, still posted. If Apple will give you no relief through legal channels, I'd rustle up the stuff any way I could….

19. drcreek thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately for apps there is no choice. I can't buy elsewhere. I can't buy android as only Apple provide any decent accessibility features. I can't even keep offline backups because of updates. Take Tweetbot. After March 4th any old versions won't work. Or updates for API updates.

Doesn't work.

20. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Okay I just thought of something that will solve your problem but I'm pretty sure you'll not want to do it.

First of all I just realized that not all apps are available in all stores. So a lot of the apps that you purchased in the UK store may simply not be available in the Swedish store. If that is the case then I can see where Apple's hands are tied.

This is what I would do and you can keep your apps updated at all times. Use a VPN service that allows you to log in through a UK server making it look as if you are in the UK. Log into iTunes and then your old account. You will now be able to download all your apps that you previously purchased. You will also be able to update the apps every time you log into iTunes once connected to the VPN.

As I already told you I live in the US and I wanted to purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket which gives me access to all American football games played every week. Unfortunately it's not available to US residents even though I'm willing to pay them $250 for the privilege. So I fired up my VPN, purchased Sunday ticket through the French NFL.com and never looked back.

I also logged into iTunes because I wanted to download an app someone had told me about that wasn't available in the US store. I downloaded the app and off I went.

I'm telling you all this because I have 100% certainty that this will work for you. Is it a bit cumbersome? Yes but would you rather simply walk away from thousands of dollars of apps and start from scratch? You have very limited options but you have options. I get the slight fear about "breaking rules" but what is the alternative? Re-buying all the apps? To me that is not an option. I would do what I outlined above.

Good luck once again!!

21. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You don't need to be in the country to have an ID there, I download from the US store without problems without a VPN.

Oh, and I live in Indonesia currently and download from the Dutch store which was my Home store, and this all without a VPN.

22. m00min macrumors 6502

Read the OPs posts, there is no old account, Apple converted his account to a Swedish one.

OP, I'd say in this case you are absolutely, 100% within your right to pirate any apps you've bought legally to get them back on your device.

23. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I agree with you but there is a slight problem, if you use software update it will record all the Apps and I am pretty sure this info gets sent to Apple, yes I know, it's legally his but he might run into problems.

Apple should solve this, they messed this one up, they have to fix it.
    But, what if the Data on what he purchased is lost, if this is the case he should sue Apple big time, he should have his purchase history in his bank history.

24. m00min macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple should fix it but we all know how it goes. Large companies don't tend to care all that much and suing Apple will just cost the OP more money.

I'm probably just being old and bitter though. :p

25. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes you're right. I forgot that the account was converted and that he didn't create a new Swedish account. I wonder though what would happen if he did log in via VPN in iTunes. Theoretically he can switch to the UK store and thus should see his purchases. Or wait a period of time like 90 days and convert it account back to the UK. Then create a NEW Swedish account for all future purchases.

All of this is roundabout but with the amount of apps he's talking about I think it's worth it.