apple wired keyboard worth it? and what the best mouse to get is

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theRAMman, Aug 28, 2012.

1. theRAMman macrumors regular

Im getting a mac mini later this year and i am interested in getting the wired keyboard. Ive falled in love with the slimline keys that apple offers (having used my macbook for years) and the fact that compared to the wireless one its bigger, cheaper, you dont have to faff around with batteries and has 2 USB ports built in makes it seem awsome. But i just wanted to know what peoples experiences of it where.

On the topic of peripherals, i am also looking out for a good mouse. My budget is about £40-50 (no idea what that is in dollars sorry :p ) and i am looking for something good quality and it MUST have a proper right click button (i need it for minecraft :D) i doesnt need to be a fancy gaming mouse but something more than the minamalist stuff apple makes.

Your help please :)

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

I use the wired Apple keyboard, and one of these mice: Dell on eBay UK. Left+right click + clickable scroll wheel.

Pro, solid, will last a long time, and cheap to replace if it fails.

3. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

4. theRAMman thread starter macrumors regular

mmm, ive used a mouse similar to that before and didnt find it particularly ergonomic. but the cheap price is tempting...

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I use the wired keyboard because of the numeric keypad. The bonus is not having to change batteries every once in a while.

For a mouse - at work I use a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 (I need a physical scroll wheel for one of the applications I use, it doesn't like the touch scrolling of the magic mouse). It's a smaller sized mouse but I like it. It's comfortable to use for 10+ hours.

The magic mouse, while very nice, isn't comfortable for me to use after a few hours. It's too sharp and short to fit in my hand.

At home - 90% of the time I use a magic trackpad. For general computer stuff I love the trackpad.

Attached Files:

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

That and a dedicated Backspace key are why I use my wired keyboard and keep the wireless one that came with my iMac in the box.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

8. theRAMman thread starter macrumors regular

having full sized arrow keys are also a nice feature of the wired keyboard.
    that is a nice looking mouse, and if it is as nice to use as you say would be perfect. Thanks for everyones help :D

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wired KB required for system and boot commands...But lately I've been using an Apple BT KB...No number pad etc, but handy when I'm using mirroring. Interested on behalf of a buddy who doesn't like the Apple wired KB as to what others use instead (Full number pad etc included)

10. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I got a slim line wired Apple KB years ago when I got my G5 PM 2nd hand on eBay, didn't include a KB or mouse. Until a few weeks ago I've used several different Logitech RF wireless mice. But them I thought I'd give the Magic Mouse a go. After getting the Leopard update to work its great. Love the touch scroll (most of the time) but it is a little tricky to get used to. I'd try the Magic Touch also but unfortunately it won't work on Leopard.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

As a side note let me know if you need a wired keyboard. I have a brand new one, never used still in its plastic, genuine Apple etc which I may be tempted to part ways with ;)

12. theRAMman thread starter macrumors regular

im not a high enough rank to go into the sale area, but im interested all the same :p

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Have both the wireless and wired apple keyboard. Not interested in the numeric keypad myself, but after a while with the wireless, I to got tired of the battery being replaced, but the biggest issue for me was when I did a clean install of OS lion, my wireless keyboard would not function until I hooked up a windows keyboard first. This happened the first time when I got my Apple computer. The wired keyboard did not have this hiccup. ;)

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I use the wired keyboard at work - can't live without my page up and page down keys.

At home I recently switched to a Moshi backlit wired keyboard. Really cool!

I generally use the magic trackpad, but if you need a mouse just about any one you like will work.

15. polotska macrumors 6502

I still like wired keyboards but I’m not crazy about the Apple one. Haven’t been thrilled with the Mac-oriented alternatives I’ve found, though; mostly use an IBM Model M derivative.

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I like the logitech M305.
    Its cheap, available in a bunch of colours, has good battery, and is minecraft tested.

Been using one for almost a year.