Apple Wired Mouse is dead

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by v1597psh, Jun 6, 2017.

1. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

R.I.P... Probably the oldest product that Apple has been making until yesterday. Many universities and companies buy iMacs with Apple Mouse so people don't steal the wireless ones. And now what?

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yeah - Thats' a mistake in my opinion.

I would have liked to see a tweak to the Magic Mouse that allowed it be used wired optionally and then perhaps they could actually sell a hard wired version of it themselves.

I have some sort of interference around my setup that usually brings me back to plugged in peripherals before long. I just like not worrying about any possible smoothness or power issues - ever..

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I haven't used an Apple mouse since the USB era began.
    They offer little-to-nothing when compared to the best that Logitech has to offer.
    Not missed here!

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Logitech also makes mice that you can still use when they're charging.

5. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

im sorry but this is just wrong, the magic mouse has multi touch and gestures, high res 360° scroll.
    you cannot get that on any competitor (unfortunately, because i would love a wired touch mouse), for me the multitouch gestures are key feature of macOS.
    whoever designed this:
    Magic-Mouse-2-teardown-iFixit-001.jpg
    needs to be punched in the face multiple times a day!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

RE:
    "magic mouse has multi touch and gestures"

I don't use gestures at all.
    In fact, on my MacBook Pro, one of the first things I did was disable EVERY "Gesture" the trackpad was capable of producing.

All I want is left click, right click, and scrolling (not "natural" scrolling, either -- I want the "old-fashioned" kind!).
    Anything more than that is too confusin' for this old guy and often produces completely undesired results!

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

8. JamesWvr macrumors newbie

I work in a university setting and this makes me really sad... The Apple Mice aren't great by today's standards, but they offered more functionality than basic PC mice. Hopefully Apple will come out with either a wired mouse option or redesign the current Magic Mouse so that it can be used while plugged in.

On a related note, has anyone had any luck securing the Magic Keyboard to prevent them from walking off?

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I highly recommend VHB tape.

10. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

wired mouse will not be missed. that little trackball constantly dies

11. rweed, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

rweed macrumors member

Great, there goes one USB port I need. Time to stock up on wired mouse and keyboards from Amazon.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017 ---
    I bought one in 2008 when I got my Mac mini. When I got my iMac in 2012, i got the wirless keyboard and mouse with it...those are now siting in the box with the Mac mini. The ball mouse is the best, IMO.

Yesterday, my wired mouse ball was sticking again and I was debating just getting a new one instead of breaking it apart again. Guess what? Apple doesn't sell them any more? WTF? They make one bad decision after another. The wireless mouse is ****, IMO...too many spurious inputs on the touch surface.

Looks like Amazon still has some...

Ahhhh!

EDIT: This board merges replies...hey that's cool