Apple Wireless Keyboard and iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MJedi, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello all,

I still have my iPad 2 on 4.3.3, and I am aware that the newest Apple Wireless Keyboard (the one with Lion-specific keys) does not work totally with the iPad 2. The volume keys, playback keys, brightness and arrow keys don't work . Does iOS 5 resolve this issue? Thanks.

2. JustMapIt macrumors newbie

In fact, the wireless keyboard does 'play better' with the iPad 2 under iOS 5. My iPad/keyboard combo is sitting at my desk as I type this. The function keys do control brightness, volume and playback. The iPad 2 with the keyboard is quite a slick little setup and turns the iPad into a killer email machine (among other things).

3. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

4. jsh1120, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the update. For those who were unaware of the problem, Apple made an undocumented change in the Apple Wireless Keyboard when Lion was released. The new version of the keyboard was apparently identical to the old; the only difference being that it included a "/B" are the end of the model number compared to the previous "/A."

Unfortunately, those who happened to have purchased the "/B" version from Apple or other sources found that the volume and brightness keys did not work on the keyboard. Since most users had no idea which version they had purchased (the model number was only on the box, not the keyboard), it took awhile to figure out what was going on and Apple refused to comment.

The post above is the first confirmation I've seen that the release of iOS 5 resolves the problem.

5. JustMapIt macrumors newbie

Just to make it clear, my keyboard is one of the newer /B models (MC184LL/B), and it works just fine with the iPad2 running iOS 5.

The combination makes a compelling lightweight laptop/netbook substitute - and this from a guy who is surrounded by high level Windows laptops and heavy iron desktops.