Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad constantly loose connection (MacBook Pro 2018)

appleino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I've got a wireless Apple keyboard and trackpad that are both connected to my new Macbook Pro 2018 via Bluetooth. They both constantly loose connection, basically every minute or so, rendering them useless for me.

Has anyone had a similar issue before and knows how to fix this?

Both devices have been connected to a freshly installed OSX on the new machine (High Sierra with all the latest updates applied).

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Are you using any USBC to USBA adapters and/or USB3 cables? Try without them. Unshielded USB3 devices have been known to cause 2.4GHz Wifi interferences, and bluetooth is in that same frequency

appleino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Actually, I do have one USB-C to USB-A adapter connected but need it since a couple of devices depend on it (like my Wacom tablet, printer, colorimeter, etc.). Batteries are good and there doesn’t seem to be a timeout setting (if there is one, where would I find it?).

Will try without the adapter and report back, even though I can’t work without it since I constantly need the tablet and also external USB-A devices attached.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just spitballing here. It may not be the adapter causing the issue -- but if it turns out to be the culprit, I'd suggest then trying a known-to-be-okay adapter such as apple's or this one from Nonda.
https://www.amazon.com/nonda-Adapter-Aluminum-Indicator-Macbook/dp/B015Z7XE0A
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?fnode=8b

Also note that if you have a hub involved, it could be the issue as well. Try out different bits individually to see if any of them make a difference.

appleino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks, both, you were totally right! As soon as I removed the USB hub that was connected via the adapter, the problem went away. It has never caused any issues with my former Macbook Pro, so the new machines seem to me much worse in this regard.

It doesn't seem to be my USB-C to USB-A adapter, luckily, I can still connect my graphic tablet without loosing the Bluetooth connection of the keyboard and trackpad.

Does anyone know a good hub? I had looked at a plethora of different models before I bought the machine (and also went through the dedicated discussion thread here) but basically all of them seem to have some kind of issue (like overheating, Wifi interference, card readers breaking after a few uses, not delivering proper USB power when more than one device is connected, etc.). I'd preferably buy a portable one instead of a bulky CalDigit or OWC hub that has to sit on a desk all the time.

appleino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks, that's the thread I went through as well but after reading countless reviews I still couldn't find a hub that seems to be flawless. Especially now that I know about the Bluetooth interference, the choice will be even harder. If you come across a good device, I'd appreciate some feedback, I'll continue my search as well and will report back.

Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.