Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
First off, maybe its just me, but it seems that the wireless keyboard (bluetooth one) has a better keyboard than on my 2011 MBP. I find it hard to go back now, as the MBP just has way too much key travel and the wireless keyboard, the keys actually sit lower. Has anyone else noticed?

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
First off, maybe its just me, but it seems that the wireless keyboard (bluetooth one) has a better keyboard than on my 2011 MBP. I find it hard to go back now, as the MBP just has way too much key travel and the wireless keyboard, the keys actually sit lower. Has anyone else noticed?

why do you like lower key travel? I hate shallow keys, because I don't know if my keypresses even register.

TL;DR - Preference.

marktebbutt1

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
The Apple BT keyboard is indeed excellent. I just wish that they had an iPad version that has the same keys as the iPad keyboard dock. There is one design flaw in the Apple BT keyboard in that the slightest contact with the power button will turn the keyboard on. This is particularly a problem when the keyboard is stowed in a backpack.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
There is one design flaw in the Apple BT keyboard in that the slightest contact with the power button will turn the keyboard on.
I always had the impression that any keypress will turn the BT keyboard on. I only use the power button to switch it off.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
The keyboards are practically the same build as one another...just that the BT keyboard has white keys and a rougher texture which takes longer to wear away.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
The keyboards are practically the same build as one another...just that the BT keyboard has white keys and a rougher texture which takes longer to wear away.

That's actually not true. First off, the scissor design is different. The keystroke seems more or less the same as that of the keyboard of the cMBP, but the keystrokes are more "clicky" and have a heavier feedback. It almost feels like a mechanical keyboard when compared to the cMBP keyboard. The cMBP keyboard feels a bit

Personally, I prefer the Wireless keyboard over the cMBP keyboard any day. If only there was a way to have the same feedback on the cMBP keys...

Regards
Raptor

EDIT: Compared to the rMBP keyboard, either is better. The rMBP keys are far too shallow and soft.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've toyed with the idea of getting the wireless keyboard but to be honest, I'd miss the numeric keypad. Right now, I'm using the wired version which includes the number pad.
Perhaps I'll get one after Christmas when I collect all my gift cards from my family :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.