Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
I've been having issues all of a sudden with my Apple wireless keyboard. I haven't spilled water or caused any damaged to it.

For some reason it started acting up tonight. First it wouldn't connect to my iMac after i woke it up from sleep mode. After i switched batteries and turned it off and on it finally synced.

Now i for some reason the F1/F2 buttons that adjust the screen brightness don't work correctly. I checked it on system preferences and they say F14/F15 now? I could only changed them back to F1/F2 when i hold down fn+F1 or fn+F2. It works when i use the fn combo. But if i just click f1/f2 it doesn't register. I just want them back to the normal setting.

Every button, shortcut, etc. seem to work except those two.

Anyone got a quick solution?

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
Did by any chance the country-settings change? I have that sometimes, that i hit a secret key-combo and all of a sudden it switches from dutch to english.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
In System Prefs, is the box "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" ticked? If so, clear it.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
In System Prefs, is the box "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" ticked? If so, clear it.

Nope its unchecked. If i check it, the F1/F2 buttons return to normal but the other Function keys do strange commands.

I mean i can live with pushing a extra button to change screen brightness. Not like i constantly change the brightness haha.

I tried a Apple wired keyboard and the F1/F2 commands worked.

Just strange that they changed out of nowhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.