Apple Wireless Keyboard Issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigpoppamac31, Feb 11, 2014.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard that I bought used on Kijiji about a month ago. It's the latest model as the function keys match my 2011 MBP. I love it overall but most of the function keys don't work. The only ones that do are the volume buttons but even they sometimes don't work. The delete will often stop working and sometimes the volume keys will become expose and dashboard keys. I've only gotten the audio keys to work as intended once. Anyone else having these issues or know a solution?

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

It sounds like the Fn key is being pressed/triggered when it shouldn't be.

If you go to System Preferences > Keyboard, is the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" checkbox unchecked?

If it is the Fn key being pressed, then checking the box would revert the keys to their normal special functions. But this won't help with other keys like backspace acting as delete.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

The box is unchecked by default. If I check the box the same issues apply. The volume keys act as dashboard and expose keys. I have to turn off and back on the keyboard to regain normal function of the volume and delete keys. I don't seem to have a "backspace" key as you mention. Also I read something that I shouldn't use rechargeable batteries with the Apple Wireless keyboard and trackpad. Would that be a possible reason why my keyboard is acting up? I don't have any issues with trackpad.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Hmm, if you go to:-
    1) System Preferences > Keyboard, Input Sources tab
    2) Check ""Show Input menu in menu bar"
    3) Then from the Input menu in the menu bar, choose Show Keyboard Viewer
    Does the fn button on the keyboard viewer highlight when you aren't pressing it. Check whether it's doing this when you are having issues.

Ah, I mean the button below the eject button. It confusingly may be labelled as delete or an arrow pointing to the left (like on my British English keyboard) depending on what keyboard layout you have. By default it should act as a backspace key where it deletes the character to the left of the cursor, or by holding down Fn it acts as a delete button to delete the character to the right of the cursor.

Rechargeable batteries should be fine to use, I use them in mine as do many other people. Apple even sells a set of rechargeable batteries and charger to use with their wireless Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I did the keyboard viewer thing and the key are not highlighted. But don't even highlight if I do press them. it's like no signal is coming from the function keys except sometimes from the volume keys. Even they act up displaying dashboard or expose instead.

Also it seems my wireless keyboard has generic rechargeable batteries but my trackpad (bought from Apple) has Energizer non-rechargeable batteries. I may try non rechargeable batteries in the keyboard to see what happens.

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The reason the volume keys are doing that is because by default F11 is a shortcut for Show Desktop and F12 is a shortcut for Dashboard. So on a default setup with everything working correctly if you hold fn and then press Volume Down (F11) it will activate Show Desktop, while if you hold fn and then press Volume Up (F12) it will activate Show Dashboard.

The other keys on the top row (ignoring esc and eject)will act as standard F1 - F10 keys when pressed, which by default in most OS X applications do nothing.

So your keyboard is acting as if the fn key is being held down.

To me it sounds like your keyboard is broken.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay so I tried the volume keys with function key (bottom left) held down and I get the dashboard and expose. But when I let go of the function key (bottom left) I get volume options again. Bot often without holding down the function key those volume keys act as expose and dashboard keys.

On the Apple keyboard the F1-F9 never work as they are marked. I can't change brightness, dashboard, expose or iTunes controls as they are marked on the keys. The volume ones F10-F12 work intermittently as noted above. If the function key (bottom left) is being held down can that be fix or would I need to buy a new keyboard. Apple ones are not cheap hence why I bought it on Kijiji.