Apple Wireless Keyboard randomly stops working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cleo, Jan 3, 2009.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

My Apple Wireless Keyboard is haunted. It will randomly, in the middle of sentences, or sometimes after I haven't used in a few minutes, stop responding.

The really weird part? I open System Prefs, click Bluetooth, and viola! It works again. I don't have to do anything - just open the Bluetooth prefs. As soon as I do, everything I've typed since it went dead (usually just a word or two) is actually output into the search box in Systems Prefs.

There is no rhyme or reason to this weirdness. Sometimes it will literally happen a few times an hour for days (which drives me up the wall); sometimes it'll go months without doing it. When it's doing it a lot, no amount of rebooting/relogging-in fixes it. One thing I have not tried is using a fresh user account (or Guest), because it's so unpredictable... even on my own account it will take a break and work normally for a few hours, then go right back to freaking out.

The fact that it stores everything I type when it's "not working" is the really weird part. It's like the OS is receiving the data but just forgetting to process it until I poke it and remind it, "Hey, you have stuff coming in via Bluetooth, wake up and do something with it!"

I've been living with this (on and off) frever, so it's not the end of the world... but it can get annoying, so any ideas for fixing it would be greatly appreciated.

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

There is an issue that has been discussed with the wireless keyboard, for me it actually locks my MBP after between 5 and 60 mins. I have to reboot to get going again.

There are some threads on this, search on Bluetooth keyboard.