Apple Wireless Keyboard suddenly stopped working?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JohnApples, Mar 25, 2017.

1. JohnApples macrumors 65816

So I've been using my older, AA-battery-operated Apple Wireless Keyboard with my MacBook Pro with no issues for years now. Today I came back from a trip, in which I brought my MacBook with me, but not my wireless keyboard or mouse. Now my mouse reconnected instantly, however my keyboard did not. When I tried to type, a green light started blinking slowly on the keyboard and my MacBook could not connect to it. The green light does not stop blinking unless I remove the batteries.

I've tried removing and replacing the batteries, new batteries, holding down the power button for x-amount of seconds/minutes, un-pairing and attempting to re-pair the keyboard, trying in safe mode, and trying to connect on different users and devices. Nothing will allow the keyboard to connect again.

Apple Support told me that the only recommendation they had was to take it to an Apple Store for troubleshooting. I'd rather not drive all the way out to my nearest Apple Store if I can help it, so I figured I'd ask for any tips here first.

Thanks in advance!

2. kge420 macrumors member

kge420

Try cleaning the battery contacts. Gently bend them outward also.

3. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I have had similar issues with the older (uses replaceable batteries) version of the keyboard and ended up just replacing it with the newer version with the rechargeable battery. For a while, I was able to get the old keyboard to reconnect by deleting the BT connection on the Mac, taking it out of range of my laptop, pressing/holding the keyboard power button for 5 seconds until it starts to flash the LED, then bringing it back. The only worked while both were powered on. (Pick up this idea from another thread.) Not my favorite thing to do when it requires leaving the house in sub-zero weather. This worked a few times, then I could no longer get it to connect at all. The keyboard was 5 or more years old.

I still have 2 more of the older model keyboard and I am waiting for the day that I need to replace them also. At least the new keyboards can connect through the lightning cable, so you can still use them, even if the BT is messed up.