Apple Wireless Keyboard to bring up dual boot options at startup? It worked for me.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lannim, May 4, 2011.

1. lannim macrumors member

After all my googling and all my research before beginning my bootcamp journey, I came to the conclusion that I would be forever unable to use my bluetooth keyboard to hold option at startup and bring up the choice of which partition to boot into. However, after stubbornly trying it a few times, I got it to work. I dont know if this has been working for a long time or if a whole lot of people know about it, but I do know a post like this would have saved me a lot of time before figuring it out on my own. For those who care, this is how i did it.
    I'm running late 2010 imac i7.
    1. Have the computer turned off. Restart would work, im sure, but the timing would be harder.

2. Push the power button on the computer.

3. IMMEDIATELY after pushing the power button on the comp, push it on the keyboard so that the green light turns on and tap some buttons to get it to connect. (I used option..dont think it really matters, or actually if this step is necessary, but this is what ive been doing and its worked several times.)

4. Hopefully having accomplished this before the chime, press and hold option as soon as you hear the chime begin, and if you have the same luck I've been having, the dual boot menu will come up.

Thank god i can put away the usb keyboard again. Like I said, I dont know if i sound like an idiot right now because everyone already knows this, but I felt an obligation to at least put it out there.

Note: I couldnt get the mouse to connect the same way, but no biggy because you can use the arrow keys/enter to choose the partition.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This has always worked for me, with my PowerBook G4, both my 667 DVI with a Bluetooth Dongle on it, my Alu 1.33, and my parents iMac 24" 2.8.

Thomas

3. lannim thread starter macrumors member

I knew that it must work for other people but the vast majority of the stuff I read said that it couldn't be done

4. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Yep, also been working for me on my '06 mini for years now. I'm not sure why people were ever under the impression that you couldn't do it. I mean, you could always use it for PRAM resets, why would selecting the boot drive be any different?

What I usually do is pretty much exactly what you described. Option key to "wake"/connect the keyboard, then once again quickly to get the boot choices.

I also use the menu button on my Apple Remote, it's more "reliable".