Apple wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac Head, May 31, 2010.

1. Mac Head macrumors member

Any chance of an update soon, maybe a backlight, black keys?
    Considering purchasing one...

Thanks

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

well, I don't know if their will be an update, but I love the current design of it. To me, the white keys feel better to type on than the the black ones on my laptop, they have a different texture. Plus, I would imagine most people use the wireless keyboards with desktops(not everyone, like me, I use mine with my mbp), and normally sufficient lighting isn't a problem then, thus not needing backlit keys. But then, I don't know, anything is possible.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I would like to see an update: give us the full keyboard as an option wirelessly please. I don't use the wireless ones as I use my keypad a lot.

Not sure if backlight would come (be nice tho) as its a battery drain, although maybe its time the keyboard had a USB option, (that would charge it up while tethered?) - then backlight would not be a problem.

x fingers

4. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

brucem91: Good points, you've convinced me to get one!

I don't think it is worthwhile waiting for an update, it does everything I need for now.

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

+1 for full keyboard, it's a no-brainer.
    Backlit would be cool, but would probably sacrifice battery life too much to consider.

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I love the wireless keyboard, but I don't have one. Why?
    I'd get one if it had a numeric pad.

Call me crazy but I'd also love to see a multitouch trackpad attached to the wireless keyboard, it could pivot under the keyboard when not in use.

As far as backlight goes, I thought it were backlit...

7. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I agree. Back lit keyboard would be nice but i would not sacrifice the battery life.

That being said, I would love to see one with a rechargeable battery. This would solve that battery problem caused by back lit keys.

I would love to see a track pad on the new one as well! I love to connect my mbp to my 42" hdtv and sit on my bed. sometimes the mouse gets annoying. The track pad would be nice.

8. meatballs macrumors 6502

+1 on a wireless full keyboard. But then again we're dealing with Apple so who knows :D

9. MacSignal macrumors regular

More love here for a full size wireless KB with full size cursor keys as well as the numeric keypad.

Think big, Apple! Make mine solar powered with backlighting. Thank You!

10. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Just wondering, but if you were using a computer in the dark, like say an iMac, couldn't the light coming out of the screen be enough light to power a solar-powered wireless keyboard?

11. Vylen macrumors 65816

it's solar power... not artificial-light power :p

12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I was actually wondering about this too and had wanted to create a new thread on this but hesitated because it might seem like a stupid one.

What if it was bundled with the upcoming Apple Slate/Trackpad thing? :)

13. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Did I miss something in school? Photons are photons, no? Probably there aren't enough photons from the screen to do much good, but I don't believe that CCFL-emitted photos differ from any other kind.

But maybe you were making a joke.

14. Vylen macrumors 65816

While photons are, well, photons, they exhibit both properties of particles and waves - since they're the base construct of light. The latter being the important part.

Light (and well, all electromagnetic radiation) comes at different wavelengths. And the different materials that make up photovoltaic cells/photodiodes react to specific wavelengths.

Ideally, solar cells would react best to ultraviolet light which is of a shorter wavelength, and consequently has greater energy allowing for the production of electricity thanks to the photoelectric effect. It's also the reason why they put solar farms out in the middle of nowhere in deserts - lower chance of clouds that would obstruct and filter the UV radiation.

While there are photodiodes that can react to visible light (like for light sensors) it's not practical for use to produce electricity since these are only designed to detect the miniscule amount of electric potential caused from the visible light spectrum.

</science class>

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

If I'm reading this Sanyo material ("Radiant spectrum of light source and spectral sensitivity of solar cells") correctly, the most important difference is the light level itself, where the LUX values of sunlight are orders of magnitude greater than that standard office levels. This seems to argue for quantitative differences, not qualitative ones.

http://semicon.sanyo.com/en/amorton/feature/index.php

The sensitivity of amorphous cells ("a-Si") maps quite well to white fluorescent radiation, which is of course visible radiation rather than UV.

One tail of the Sanyo a-Si cell extends into the UV range (less than 400) but it's clear that their peak is positioned firmly in the visible range. Sanyo is a main-line manufacturer of cells, so I'd think that the spectral sensitivity of their cells is pretty much the norm.

But perhaps you know otherwise.

16. Vylen macrumors 65816

Actually, a-Si is used in thin solar film which is an example of a low energy solar cell. Probably due to its reliance on the visible light spectrum. Thin solar films are commonly used on calculators for example - and it easily goes without saying that they don't require a lot of power. As such, it's no surprise that they manufacture a lot of it - there's a lot of calculators out there :p

Aside from that, it's of no real surprise that an increase in light intensity can increase the potential for an electrical reaction in photocells - cause well, its in increase in energy to cause a reaction.

But, this is really diverging from the topic in this thread lol.

17. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Yeah. It's a bit of a hijack.

Back on topic, I bought one of those little wireless KBs, but I didn't like it. If full-sized with keypad, I'd have kept it.

I suppose if I get in iPad, it'll come in handy.