Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
Hey everyone,
I was wondering should i get the Apple Wireless keyboard & mouse for my 13" Macbook unibody? I think mouse would help sometimes and i am not sure about keyboard... I mean it would be useful to sit back and relax...

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks.

Also post some thoughts about them. Oh and What case should i get for my Macbook?

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Definetly get the apple bt keyboard. As for the mouse if your going to be sitting at desks and have a place to put it its fantastic but if you want to use it on the coach, floor, bed, etc. I would get the microsoft blue track explorer i am going to pick one up soon for my laptop.

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
i will probably at a desk. But sometimes just sit back and relax play with imovie etc..

Lol i am still looking for a desk too something not too big and not too expensive. Oh and should i buy on eBay? opened box or store return or buy brand new? where is the cheapest place to buy?

Thanks.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I would buy off of ebay you could probably get the keyboard new or open box for $50 and a mm for $45. or if you want the explorer mouse i just bought the laptop version for $35 brand new and the destop ones are like $25.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
The keyboard is fine but under no circumstances should you pay money for that damn mouse. Apple doesnt have the slightest clue about making mice. Get a Logitech or Microsoft mouse.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
i will probably at a desk. But sometimes just sit back and relax play with imovie etc..
Thanks.

Definitely get the keyboard but only get the MM if you've used it before and like it.

Also for movies and whatnot get the Apple IR Remote. Do the new MBs come with these. I got one with my iMac and I like using it for Front Row. :)

Alias

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
I am actually creating a setup for my macbook. I just bought the wireless keyboard and am loving it. I am looking to buy a mouse as well but I want a bluetooth one so I dont have anything else taking up USB slots.

The blue track seemed interesting because I think eventually I will be using the mouse on my bed, however, from what I can tell it's not bluetooth.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
The Mighty Mouse works well for me but I understand why some people despise it. The BT KB is fine, but I'd rather have it be the traditional KB (with # pad) instead of the midget version.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Try out the the bluetooth keyboard before you buy it. The layout is the same as the laptop which is nice (for consistency especially), but the keyswitches are significantly worse than the notebook keyboards and it just doesn't feel good to type on. You might not care about this, though, so that's why I suggest you try it out in the store first.

I'm among the large group of people who think the Mighty Mouse is garbage. I have the wired one that came with my Mac Pro, and gave it a try for a while. It makes my hand hurt to use it. If you tend to rest your fingers on the mouse and use more than one mouse button, it will be useless to you because it will ignore your right-click if you have a finger resting on the left-click side. The "ball" is nice in theory, but is awkward to use. You're better off just getting a mouse with a normal track-wheel and holding down shift when you want to side-scroll.

kitch95

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I would defiantly recommend the apple keyboard but I would not go for the mighty mouse fine for web browsing ect, but I consider the logitech mx revolution. I went from a mighty mouse the the mx revolution and can say that its a fantastic mouse far more comfortable than the mighty mouse. Hope this helps.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Don't buy a Mighty Mouse. They're awful. The worst designed piece of Apple hardware I've ever come across.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Don't buy a Mighty Mouse. They're awful. The worst designed piece of Apple hardware I've ever come across.

They aren't, the expose function of them is really useful for graphic design, they aren't meant for little kids playing world of warcraft. Saying that there is a much more comfortable Logitech mouse with programmable expose and spaces buttons now though.

flanamac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2009
wireless? Perhaps not...

I don't recommend wireless anything unless you have to.

Wired systems are faster and on-time responsive. Wireless devices are slower and less responsive, even if it is just a tad.

For a keyboard and mouse, nothing is more annoying than watching the bad Chinese movie delay (and you know what I mean when the kung-fu fighters are mouthing words and the english is behind their speech) on your mouse and keyboard.

I have wireless at work and must use it. I find it rather annoying when you are trying to type 80 words a minute and find that the keyboard can only handle about 50.

Mouses are the same. Just too jittery for my taste.

Concerning the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, I haven't tried them and they may work just right, but I would read the reviews on those items closely and ensure you can return them quick if they don't work as expected.

I do have the new full thin keyboard at home and love it.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
They aren't, the expose function of them is really useful for graphic design, they aren't meant for little kids playing world of warcraft. Saying that there is a much more comfortable Logitech mouse with programmable expose and spaces buttons now though.

Expose isn't a function of the mouse. Any multi-button mouse attached to a Mac with some software can be configured to launch Expose.

Mighty Mouse is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt the worst mouse I have ever used in my life. I've used mice that cost me less than £5 and they were better than this. The problem is that it doesn't have a physical button, so it relies on the same technology as a laptop's trackpad to guess where your fingers are.

This means that if you want to right click you have to lift every other finger off the mouse. You also have to lift your fingers off the mouse ball too. It is a total pain and it is not very well thought out.

The fact that it is one of the most expensive mice out there makes it even worse. How can anyone justify paying £49.99 for the wireless version when there are so many better options out there?

I swear, if this was an idea cooked up by Logitech or Microsoft then it would have been killed off a long, long time ago. The only reason it is still in production today is because it is bundled with Apple's machines. If it didn't have the Apple logo I bet none of the people here who are singing its praises would even have tried it.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Expose isn't a function of the mouse. Any multi-button mouse attached to a Mac with some software can be configured to launch Expose.

Mighty Mouse is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt the worst mouse I have ever used in my life. I've used mice that cost me less than £5 and they were better than this. The problem is that it doesn't have a physical button, so it relies on the same technology as a laptop's trackpad to guess where your fingers are.

This means that if you want to right click you have to lift every other finger off the mouse. You also have to lift your fingers off the mouse ball too. It is a total pain and it is not very well thought out.

The fact that it is one of the most expensive mice out there makes it even worse. How can anyone justify paying £49.99 for the wireless version when there are so many better options out there?

I swear, if this was an idea cooked up by Logitech or Microsoft then it would have been killed off a long, long time ago. The only reason it is still in production today is because it is bundled with Apple's machines. If it didn't have the Apple logo I bet none of the people here who are singing its praises would even have tried it.

Its not even bundled with Apples machines anymore, which i guess is even worse :D But your right, there are mice for £5 which are better, although the Mighty Mouse isnt completely useless as some people seem to think. Infact i have one for £6 which i got from PC world, its wireless and is superb, people pay too much for mice.

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
i really like the MS revolution mice, but price is about same on ebay 60 buks new. I am still thinking if i really need the wireless keyboard.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
What are you going to put on the bottom of the desk? Seems like a waste of space if you don't have a tower down there. I would have gotten something more open, and maybe not on wheels.

Do they have a craigslist location by you? My ex-girlfriend got her desk (which I really liked) on there for free, and the one I'm using right now was $50.

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
You talking about in the middle on bottom? idk anyone else have any desk suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.