Apple Wireless Mouse battery usage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by winterdude010, Aug 3, 2007.

1. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

I have use an Apple Wireless Mouse (Not mighty mouse). It came with my G5 iMac. And ever since we began to use it we have noticed how fast it goes through batteries. Every week we have to replace them!! I use the keyboard much more and it lasts for about 5-6 months at a time. Is there an issue with my mouse? Or does it just suck at conserving battery power?

2. gallinger macrumors regular

I have the same problem with my Mighty Mouse, My keyboard is great and lasts a long time. but I have to change the batteries in my mighty mouse about every other week.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The mouse powers an LED and optical sensor as well as the radio and buttons, so it's no surprise that it uses more power than the keyboard. Not to mention the fact that the mouse is used more frequently than the keyboard, keeping in mind that moving the mouse even an imperceptible amount is equivalent to holding down a key on the keyboard.

Given that bit of info, my 2500mAh Energizer NiMH AA batteries last about 10-14 days between charges even with ~4 hours per day of gaming. It really all depends on your usage habits. Using more keyboard shortcuts will gain you more battery life, as well as using higher capacity batteries rather than standard alkaline.