Apple Wireless Mouse Turns Laser Off When Necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Makosuke, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I have a secondhand one-button Apple Bluetooth mouse that I've been using with my MBP. Worked well enough up until this evening.

I just put in a fresh set of batteries, but now when I turn it on it kills the red laser output as soon as it SHOULD start using it.

That is, when I first power up the mouse, the laser starts doing it's "flashing detect" thing, just like normal. After a few seconds the computer sees it and connects... but when it does that the mouse turns the laser off.

It remains paired--the computer can see it and reads the battery level fine, and it even registers clicks in the OS. But since the laser turns off, it won't detect tracking at all. In fact, I even know the optical sensor is working, because if I turn it over the pointer starts drifting because of the lights on the ceiling, apparently.

The laser ain't broke, since it turns on initially, the batteries are fine, the connection is fine, and I tried re-pairing without luck.

Anybody seen something like this? Any suggestions other than "chuck it"?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Didn't know some of the Mighty Mouse had red lasers - mines transparent, cannae see it.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Just sounds like a defective Mighty mouse, don't think there is any luck saving it. My wired mighty mouse seems to always be happy illuminating my room at all hours.

BTW: Just to be a brat the Mighty mouse is a optical mouse and not laser.

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

The wireless version does use a laser for tracking ;)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say its defective, but are we sure we aren't talking about a Wireless Mouse, one of the non-mighty mouse ones???

there is my bratiness...:D

6. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, we're NOT talking about a mighty mouse here, just one of the older single-button optical wireless Apple mice.

And yes, you're quite correct that it's not a laser. I know the difference between laser and "stock" optical mice, but for some reason I was thinking (incorrectly) that the red LED that illuminates the surface in optical mice was some sort of laser as well, which it isn't.

I pretty much figured it was a lost cause, but it just seems odd since the light does work as long as it's not supposed to.

Maybe I'll cut it open and goof around in there.